PMR/Forged Rod Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PMR/Forged Rod Swap

I have an 02 F250 which unfortunately has the PMR rods in it. I have been toying with the idea of someday swapping out the PMR's for the Forged rods. Question is is how huge of a task is this? And how much money would it require to do this? Do yall think it would be easier to just pick up a 7.3 out of a 2000 model year truck? If i could get ahold of a different motor and add what i need to that motor before putting in the truck that could be easier. Maybe im just dreaming big but im assuming that if i were to pushing enough hp in the PMR engine to need to do a forged rod swap i would most likey need to valve train work to it as well. Am i right? Anyways im just toying with the idea. Dont hurt to dream big. Ive thought about a crate motor from someone like Swamps but man those things are spendy and from my understaning dont come with an HPOP, Water pump, Fuel system and other various equipment. My truck now isnt at the point of needing rods but someday i hope it may be. Let me know what yall think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Great intentions, but like me I keep it as a dream. Lots of money and lots of time (unless you just have tons of money to pay somebody else to do it ). If you're going to push anything that exceeds PMRs, you'll need to pull the trigger anyway on expensive high-end supporting mods (to include what you mentioned).

PMRs over the years haven't grenaded any engines that I've heard of on slightly modded setups that push decent power. There are so many ways to go about it in the end, it's whatever scenario presents itself to you at that time.

Not preachin' but just an opinion. Hope I didn't kill the dream
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No no you didn't kill the dream. It's a long term goal. But uncle Sam and the military certainly ain't mAkin me rich haha. So far all I have done to it is the intake. My gauges and TW chip are on their way. After that it's gonna be exhaust and some recoup time for my bank account. I've heard 400-450 is about all you wanna push through those rods, is this correct? I think I still got a ways to go before I hit those kinda numbers. Just long term thinking and hopefully get an understanding of just how hard it is to swap.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Wish I knew the answer to that magical number, but all I can do is give info that's already on the site: This is a high powered website created just for Ford Diesel and Powerstroke enthusiasts. Older Ford 6.9L and 7.3L International or IDI owners are also welcome - Search Results for PMR Max HP

Like many say: "Welcome to the addiction!"
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
If you are wanting to make that kinda power,mother probably the best bet would be to find a good running forged rod 7.3 engine do head studs and valve springs and anyhting else you may want like a better hpop,fuel system,etc and then pull your current engine and drop it in... The cost farrrrrrrrr outweighs the benefits of swapping your pmrs to forged in your current engine and If you know its going to be a while before you can afford to drop the cash to buy a forged rod engine just do simple mods you can afford and enjoy the truck as is
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's kinda what I was thinking. There's gotta be a wrecked 2000-2001 out there with a good motor in it. Then I could just add too it as I go and drop it in when ready. What else would be a good addition to my current set up (gauges, TW 6 position chip, 5" exhaust, and an AFE stage two intake). Just lookin for some cool ideas and a different perspective to have some fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would just find a used 96-00 motor and swap it. I just swapped an e99 motor into my 01, it's a pretty simple job, took me and a buddy 3 days of messing with it (there was a lot of bsing and beer drinking in that time or it would have probably been a 2 day teardown to start up job.)
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexpowerstroke View Post
I would just find a used 96-00 motor and swap it. I just swapped an e99 motor into my 01, it's a pretty simple job, took me and a buddy 3 days of messing with it (there was a lot of bsing and beer drinking in that time or it would have probably been a 2 day teardown to start up job.)
Did you transfer the larger benefits of your 01 into the E99?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah bought a long block so I had to use my hpop and everything anyways, but swapped my plenums. already had after market everything except for hpop.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Also keep in mind that there is no guarantee on a stock forged rod motor either. Some have seen 5-600hp and some less than 400.
A good used motor is definitely a good place to start though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.