Problem installing a modified stock turbo-exhaust manifold up pipes donít match??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem installing a modified stock turbo-exhaust manifold up pipes donít match???

2000 F-250 7.3 Ė Modified my stock turbo with the following: x-wheel compressor wheel with ATS compressor housing. Garret 38R 1.0 turbine housing. Changed leaking pedestal to a new non-EBPV pedestal with turbine housing downpipe adapter, Banks Big Head wastegate. Put it together, disassembled the lower bolts on the exhaust manifold piping in order to have the slack to fit that exhaust manifold Y pipe to the band clamp on the back of the turbine housing. All good at this point. However when I try to reinstall the exhaust manifold piping they do not match. The angle appears off and there is at least a half inch gap. Perhaps the turbo modifications changed the size slightly enough to make this parts not fit? Do I need custom fit exhaust manifold up-pipes at this point? Any one experience this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you loosened the up pipe to manifold bolts or removed them?
everything should go back fine. when i put new up pipes on i got the turbo in first and then tightened the lower bolts all the way down. their wasnt any gap.
maybe you should try tightening the manifold to up pipe bolts first?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

removed them (the bottom ones first, next to the exhaust manifold) ...that clamp in the back of the turbine housing where it meets the up pipes is such a pain, I assembled that union outside the truck, then removed the upper bolts next (where the up pipes mee the Y) so I could get the turbo back in which was fine. Now I'm trying to fit the up pipes between the exhaust manifold joint and the Y joint. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM

My guess is that the up-pipes are original and therefor probably in rough shape.
The slip on fit of the pipes to the turbo manifold is probably just out of wack and you cant see it because it's too tight back there.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 PM

You have to install the y to up pipes first then pull the y to turbo down onto pedistal and put two bolts in finger tight. That clamp for the y to turbo has to be done with the up pipe bolts loose ... its a pain. The up pipes probably just swiveled a little. Everyone does it differently so whatever works. Do yourself a favor and leave the down pipe off until last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.