Suggestions Please 7.3 mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suggestions Please 7.3 mods

Alright guys,
I have bought a 1978 F250 crew cab 4X4 with a Fuel Injected 460. Sweet truck if I do say so myself.
I have a buddy who works for an ambulance service and takes care of all the trucks.
He has eight 7.3 chassis laying around with 180,000 to 230,000 miles on them.
He also has 2 newer 08-09 6.0's with one of them only having about 25,000 miles on the motor. Repeat----complete chassis minus the box! Apparently they put the 6.0's in the van chassis longer than the trucks.
I can get either the 7.3 or the 6.0 for next to nothing. Scrap price basically. What do you guys think would be a better motor for the 78 and an easier swap.
It is going to be a weekend cruiser and might even pull my fifth wheel with it locally. No mudding or crap like that.
I like the 7.3 but the 6.0 would be quieter in an old truck like that and probably get better mileage.
Also,
I might have some 7.3's and 6.0's with trannys for sale shortly. They were all ambulance motors and have been maintained accordingly. My understanding is that there are several differences. Van chassis are not inter-cooled and have a bigger turbo to make up for it. I think that is the only major difference.
And ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions Please 7.3 mods-78-f250.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

wow i'd buy every single one he had, if i'm not mistaken those ambulances came with an auxiliary braking system, that would be worth its weight in gold for those hauling professionally.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Road Trip to Michigan!!!

I don't think the 6.0 is any quieter than the ol' 7.3 Sounds like a sweet deal since you can work on the engine as you please OUTSIDE of the truck. Whichever one you get, it'll be pretty neat to have in your '78.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.