Modification Priorities - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Modification Priorities

What do I change first? Then what next?

I have a 2001 F-450 7.3 with 65,000 original miles on it. We are full-time RVers, so I use the truck to pull our 40ft 5th wheel travel trailer around the country and for all-around transportation when unhooked from the RV.

I bought my truck a little over a year ago, and I love it. It weighs 9,960lbs by itself, and the truck and 5th wheel have a combined weight of 27,400. We average 17.2mpg when not pulling the trailer and 8.9mpg when towing it. That's a year of miles from the Texas Gulf Coast to the Rocky Mountains.

I want to get more pulling power and more braking, but would like to keep it reliable so this is the last truck I ever own.

All the posts on everybody's mods are great, but I get lost quickly.

Where do I start? Exhaust first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm heading up to the Talamena Byway new year week with our trailer.

Most popular things are the DIY intake setup, a free flowing exhaust (I just used a free flowing muffler), gauges to monitor all your temps and data, and then a chip with tunes on it tailored to your needs/desires.

The intake is sometimes called a Tymar intake, or a 6637. The filter was origianlly a Donaldson filter, and then people just used their own brand they like. I use a Baldwin PA2818 clamped to a piece of 4" exhaust, clamped to the intake tube.

Exhaust is your choice. Bigger allows less back pressure and lets the motor breathe more, which is always good.

Gauges can be analog or digital. I have the analog gauges, but I would rather go back and do digital. That way you can plug into the computer, read all the on board sensors, and then add your own you want to monitor. Most popular are transmission temp for auto trans, exhaust gas temps in the manifold to keep from melting the pistons, and boost for fun mostly. Monitoring things like boost, high pressure oil pressure (ICP), fuel pressure, and the like let you see if something might be going bad.

For your truck, if it's an auto trans, I would get a modified valve body to firm up shifts and reduce heat. Brian's Truck Shop in Lead Hill, AK is popular. John Woods also makes great transmissions and parts too.
For me, I also added an external spin on filter to help keeping it clean.
The best thing is to keep it cool. A trans cooler from a 6.0L Powerstroke is a direct bolt in cooler that is HUGE compared to yours. Only thing to modify is the way the lines hook up. Easy.

After all that, people will get a TS 6pos chip and get custom tunes burnt onto it from Tony Wildman, PowerHungryPerformance, and many others. The custom tuners let you tell them how you want it and what you'll be doing. They can tune it to be safe for hauling a big trailer. They can tune it to change transmission paramaters to your liking. They can do anything you want.

After that, you'll never stop messing with it Just a warning.

Also, if you don't understand how these motors work, read this: How HEUI works and best to convert

Where on the coast do you like to go?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 PM

Modification Priorities

Makes sense to improve air in first, then air out second.

I should have listed mods I already have:
Rear air suspension
Digital readout with Boost, Exhaust temp, and trans oil temp

It does have an auto transmission, and I do have a oil cooler from a 6.0 that my son-in-law gave me - I just haven't swapped it yet. (hard to find places to work on it when you're full time RVing)

Thanks very much for the link on how the engine works - I'm familiar with diesels and a fair mechanic, but I'll read it cover to cover!

My wife and I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast near Corpus Christi, so we don't like going to the coast if we have other choices. One of my favorite places is Rockport for the fishing. We're headed to Santa Rosa Beach, FL (near Destin) for a couple of months next Spring - our son is getting married in May.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Good deal. Probably wanna flush out that cooler really really good if it's used. Just in case.
I betcha if you got a hold of some of the people around Texas or wherever, they'd let you come over and have a day of it swapping the coolers out.

What kinda trailer you got?
RV PIC THREAD
Old 12-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Mod Priorities

Added a photo to the RV thread - hope I did it right.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

awesome post. just wanted to say thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post

I'm heading up to the Talamena Byway new year week with our trailer.

Most popular things are the DIY intake setup, a free flowing exhaust (I just used a free flowing muffler), gauges to monitor all your temps and data, and then a chip with tunes on it tailored to your needs/desires.

The intake is sometimes called a Tymar intake, or a 6637. The filter was origianlly a Donaldson filter, and then people just used their own brand they like. I use a Baldwin PA2818 clamped to a piece of 4" exhaust, clamped to the intake tube.

Exhaust is your choice. Bigger allows less back pressure and lets the motor breathe more, which is always good.

Gauges can be analog or digital. I have the analog gauges, but I would rather go back and do digital. That way you can plug into the computer, read all the on board sensors, and then add your own you want to monitor. Most popular are transmission temp for auto trans, exhaust gas temps in the manifold to keep from melting the pistons, and boost for fun mostly. Monitoring things like boost, high pressure oil pressure (ICP), fuel pressure, and the like let you see if something might be going bad.

For your truck, if it's an auto trans, I would get a modified valve body to firm up shifts and reduce heat. Brian's Truck Shop in Lead Hill, AK is popular. John Woods also makes great transmissions and parts too.
For me, I also added an external spin on filter to help keeping it clean.
The best thing is to keep it cool. A trans cooler from a 6.0L Powerstroke is a direct bolt in cooler that is HUGE compared to yours. Only thing to modify is the way the lines hook up. Easy.

After all that, people will get a TS 6pos chip and get custom tunes burnt onto it from Tony Wildman, PowerHungryPerformance, and many others. The custom tuners let you tell them how you want it and what you'll be doing. They can tune it to be safe for hauling a big trailer. They can tune it to change transmission paramaters to your liking. They can do anything you want.

After that, you'll never stop messing with it Just a warning.

Also, if you don't understand how these motors work, read this: How HEUI works and best to convert

Where on the coast do you like to go?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBearBill View Post
Added a photo to the RV thread - hope I did it right.

Thanks for your help!
Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageman918 View Post
awesome post. just wanted to say thanks!
You're welcome. I was bored and hadn't regurgitated information in a long time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.