What is the next best upgrade for me? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking What is the next best upgrade for me?

There is just so much info on the forum it can really get overwhelming and confusing after reading so much info. Currently I have a strong running low mileage 7.3 that I have added magna flow 4" SS turbo back exhaust, a 6637 air filter, and a SCT livewire with a set of good custom tunes. But my main question is what should I be planing on adding or changing next? I don't know if a 38r turbo would be the next step and then new injectors? Is there a better turbo to go with? Should I add a regulated fuel return now? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have pillar gauges...?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
gauges, RR, turbo, injectors.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermcd View Post
Do you have pillar gauges...?
I use the livewire for all of my gauges. EGT, trans temp, intake temp, boost, coolent temp, and I can switch it with a few other reading if I want to.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM

How big of injectors are recommended before the HPOP needs to be up graded? I know the best way to tell if you have enough oil flow is to put a guage on it and check to see if you pressure drops too much. But I think I have read that some hybrid injectors use less oil and flow more.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM

There isn't a set size that you need to upgrade your hpop. When It doesn't hold pressure with a set size, then you upgrade. All depends on the health of the hpop.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 PM

What size turbo do you guys recommend? I see alot of people go with the 38r but is there a better option if my target is somewhere around 450hp? Or how well can the stock turbo do if given the right set of injectors? What size injectors are needed to get into that HP level regardless of the turbo? And yes I know proper tuning will play a major part of the power output to be expected, just trying to get ballpark figures.

Last edited by George84; 12-16-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there are alot of different threads on here about that. alot claim that the stock turbo is at its limits and you should upgrade it before injectors. i have also read and been told do injectors first. as for turbo, i have looked at the d66 or 38r
Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 PM

I would look at a 366 over a 38r, the 38r is a throw away turbo when it wears out and doesn't do well with bigger injectors because of back pressure. The 366 is a pretty solid turbo. If you ever plan on getting a 250cc or bigger injector tho you have maxed out a 366 for sure but you will have the t4 mount so you have a huge variety of turbos.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM

I was looking at some of the hybrid at Beans in the 190cc to 250cc ratings. I am not entirely sure on what size I need but I think somewhere in there will put me in the 450hp range with a proper turbo upgrade and tunes. But please correct me if I am wrong. I am not real knowledgeable with all of the turbos available but the 366 looks to be about half of the price of the 38r, what is the big difference? The other thing I am looking at with the turbo is I would like to retain the turbo back exhaust I have if possible. Are the exhaust flanges the same as the stock turbo? Or will I need to get a new down pipe? What is the limitations of the 38r?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.