Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best tuner for a 2000 7.3?

47K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  5POOLIN 
#1 ·
So I'm thinking about buying a chip and wasn't sure what would be best for my truck. I've heard good things about the TS 6 position, but wasn't really sure what else was out there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Do some searching and then check into the vendors listed here. There is enough info on this site for you to make a decision or have a lot more specific question to ask. For the best, buy a chip with custom tunes on it.

#5 ·
I just bought my first 7.3 last week after having 5 problem free 6.0s. Its a 2001 F250 CCSB 4x4 and I only bought it because A. I needed a truck and B. It was a crazy good deal. I have been tuning my 6.0's with SCT Advantage software for about 6 years and have gotten pretty good at it. I was running around asking the same thing after I programed the truck with my livewire and I was reallllllllly disapointed. I happend upon a used TS 6 Position on craigslist for 150 bucks and bought it. It was not custom tuned, just a mail order straight from TS Performance. Im here to tell you, it blows my mind how strong this ole pig is! Its to the point where I wonder how safe it is for the truck! I am a SCT fanboy to the fullest but the TS is staying in my truck. Take what I say as a 7.3 newbie, I have only tried SCT, Bully Dogs Powerpup, and this TS. There are alot more programmers/chips out there, but dang this thing is BAD A$$ right outa the box! I contacted Brian Jeilich and told him I wanted some custom burns but Im not sure I will need it.

#9 ·
Power Hungry Performance - (PHP) - Hydra Light.... Nothing more to say.... Just my $.02....

www.gopowerhungry.com

#10 ·
The 2 most popular choices are a TS style chip and DP tuner which have both been mentioned.

I have run both DP tuner and TS. I used to love my DP but always had egt issues and everyone told me my egts were normal. So I believed them and continued on.
One day I decided to try another TS chip (used to run one in my old 99) Did my research and decided on PHP (Power Hungry Performance).

The way PHP and DP tune is night and day different. Granted either can customize the tunes to an extent, standard PHP tunes are awesome. Truck is much more driveable with smoother power curve. I also didn't realize how touchy the pedal was on my DP tunes till I got my PHP tunes. EGT issues went away as well.

Keep in mind, my DP tunes were a good 3-4 yrs old and I am sure they have made some changes. Overall DP tunes keep many people happy as Do PHP.

For TS style chips, you also have the choice of Beans, Tony Wildman, Swamps, Gearhead, and BTS. These are all great tunes.

My recommendation is to go to the different sites, call them and choose the most appealing option for you. There is no wrong way to go with what I have listed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.