CCV Mod oil trap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CCV Mod oil trap

what do you guys think? i put it right in the front of the cab then ran the end of the hose back behind the cab. The inside of it is all gutted out its just a air oil serperatior for a air compressor, so i wouldnt imagine any back pressure increase but someone correct me if im wrong. My question other is how much oil will collect in this thing
Attached Thumbnails
CCV Mod oil trap-481574_3480528310335_1925582123_n.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 PM

looks like a great idea. only time will tell how quickly it fills with oil. many variables involved. keep us posted as to how well it works.

SM
Old 12-14-2012, 02:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Great idea indeed. Keep us updated please.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 AM

Possible Restriction ?

My main concern is what configuration is going on inside of that lid ? Is it necking down from the pipe size (what is that 3/8") to half or even more than its original size ? If so it could be enough of a restriction to build back pressure in your motor and create all kinds of oil leaks. Everything I have ever read on making these catch cans is to make them large and free flowing. There have been many faulty designed CCV mods that have caused 7.3 owners mightmares !!!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 AM

i must agree although it is much easier to just run it out the truck i recirculated mine back to the intake with the hopes that under high load or high boost where the crankcase pressure is highest the turbo inlet side of the intake should help counter any type of restriction in the catch can just an idea but too much pressure in the crankcase will without a doubt cause issues
Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM

I too built a catch can and ran it back to the engine. Mine has been on the truck now for over 5 years and I have had zero problems. But in saying that my catch can comes in/out with 3/4" pipe fittings stagered one at the bottom and the other at the top with screen mesh pads in-between. There is little to no restrcition in this type of setup. I have heard of guys just having their hoses get kinked venting to the atmosphere that have caused back-pressure issues and of course oil leaks. I would be really suprised if the above design didnt eventually start an oil leak somewhere...could be wrong ?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM

its 1/2 fitting (if i remember right) . all it does on the inside is have one inlet port and one outlet prt with nothing between then its open ill have to take a picture of it when i get a chance and show you guys what it looks like
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM

now you guys got me all nervous
Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM

What you have may workout just fine. I would watch it closely for awhile because it doesn't take much to create a leak in a 7.3 due to back-pressure.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 PM

also something that i have noticed is that most people use a trap design because they want to recirculate it back to the intake to prevent the excess oil buildup in the CAC by catching it in the catch can but if your venting it to atmosphere it dosent matter as long as you keep the end of the hose clean from debris and dirt that would limit flow of the gasses coming out unless your a environment concious guy which would negate you even being on a site like this lol but who knows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.