stage 2 cam - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stage 2 cam

Hello guys i am looking in to doing a bigger cam (more than likely the stage 2). My question is what size tq do i need in order to run the cam. I have heard of big gains from the cams so tax time is just around the corner and i am wanting to get everything lined up. gonna do some trans work and a tq, cam, my new heads, studs, fix leaks, etc. I am used to my 302's put a 3500 stall and its good to go. New to the diesel stuff so not to sure. looking to get my cam from alligator performance. Any suggesations and info much appriciated.

thanks,
mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hey i think you may be in for a hell of a job, i have not done any research on pros and cons for a diesel motor but based on my knowledge in the sbc world, most of the gains we see in our gassers is just moving the peak torque curve to where we want it up high so we can run the hell out of it the only downfall i see right off the bat is that the amount of difference you will see with a diesel will be less than that of a gasser due to the lower rpms so the best thing i can say is call the manufacturer and talk to them about your intentions and they will tell you how it will and will not help you and call around to multiple places on what type of cam specs they would recommend based on your expected outcome. our biggest problem as gearheads is actually knowing what we want cuz as soon as we get their we want more best of luck and let us know what you find out im sure their are a few of us interested
Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you for the input. My buddy has 650hp obs. He told me about the cams. I guess they make a huge difference is what i am told. But like you said i need to do some more resurch. I will be sure to let you guys know what i find out. I still have to port my other heads and get valves and what not. I have not dobe anything cause i wanted a cam before i ordered the springs so that they match. I will be sure to post what i find out.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. View Post
Thank you for the input. My buddy has 650hp obs. He told me about the cams. I guess they make a huge difference is what i am told. But like you said i need to do some more resurch. I will be sure to let you guys know what i find out. I still have to port my other heads and get valves and what not. I have not dobe anything cause i wanted a cam before i ordered the springs so that they match. I will be sure to post what i find out.
before you go all crazy.. do you even have an aftermarket turbo in it? try an aftermarket turbo and bigger njectors than stage two.. i wouldn't do cams on a diesel
Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
before you go all crazy.. do you even have an aftermarket turbo in it? try an aftermarket turbo and bigger njectors than stage two.. i wouldn't do cams on a diesel
i agree with what he says with the turbo, reason being is that the end state of having a cam is to get more air into the engine the fuel obviously being in the cylinder anyways (unlike our gassers where the cam allows more fuel and air) so by upgrading the cam and porting your heads you would be gaining alot on a n/a motor but when the turbo is forcing the air in at 30 psi give or take as long as its a good turbo the extra .020 in lift or the extra 10 degrees duration wont make much of a difference. take your air hose for example from your air compressor and fill up an inner tube lets say and time it then port and polish your blow gun attachment and do it again and time it. forced air dosent care if it tumbles a bit due to imperfections what i would imagine you would gain would be that your turbo would not work as hard to an extent which should calculate to lower egt's but the cost to reward ratio isnt in the favor of a guy on a budget
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Not to mention you WOULD NOT benefit unless you are will to pay someone to do some custom and I mean custom tuning to make it all work right. And as for the TQ you would have to take in some of the same things you normally would consider for a stall. Weight, tires, cam grind, torque curve, etc. Hope this helps but at least start out with the advise from the first posts.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. View Post
Hello guys i am looking in to doing a bigger cam (more than likely the stage 2). My question is what size tq do i need in order to run the cam. I have heard of big gains from the cams so tax time is just around the corner and i am wanting to get everything lined up. gonna do some trans work and a tq, cam, my new heads, studs, fix leaks, etc. I am used to my 302's put a 3500 stall and its good to go. New to the diesel stuff so not to sure. looking to get my cam from alligator performance. Any suggesations and info much appriciated.

thanks,
mike
I didn't read through any of the other responses but I will go ahead and give my opion.

Diesels don't react to a cam like a gas motor. A stage 2 cam is going to require some pretty extensive motor work and if you aren't already over 600hp fuel only you probably won't see much gain at all. Cams on diesels really are to open the rpm band for racing and pulling. on a street dd truck a cam is pretty pointless. If you go through someone like gearhead that actually knows the PSD well, a stage 2 cam is even unnecessary for people that race their trucks every weekend. Your money is much better spent else where, don't worry about a cam until it is a trailered track toy or sled puller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.