need more performance ideas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need more performance ideas

alright i have a 2000 F-350 XLT with a 6spd. it has a 4 inch downpipe to a 5 inch straight pipe, a spectre filter stuck on the end of the intake and a cheap dfuser chip(which i hope to replace before long), i want more power with out the huge loss of mpg's, i already average at 15. What kind of performance upgrades should i do. i want to know everything from the cheapest to the most expensive. id rather not get into headstuds anytime soon but im not looking to be the fastest powerstroke around by no means, just want more power. any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

First off, what HP are you trying to attain?

If you are just looking for basic performance mods then an intake, exhaust, and chip should be a good starting point. The exhaust you have on there now is fine. You may want to invest in a better intake than the Spectre. There are many different options when it comes to the intake, such as AFE, S&B, Airaid, 6637(DIY Intake). When it comes to the chip stay away from canned tunes and go custom. By far one of the best decisions you will make.

A custom chip will give you the power you are looking for along with keeping your transmission happy.

If you are looking to go higher in performance then you will need... Intake, exhaust, custom chip, regulated return fuel system, HPOP(High Pressure Oil Pump), turbo, injectors, and a transmission.

When you go beyond that stuff you are really needing to get studs, valve springs, push rods, etc.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 AM

im hoping to get either an AFE or S&B but not sure which just yet. im planing on getting a TW chip when i get my new one. I want more than what id gain out of a intake, chip and exhaust but not enough to require headstuds, also been looking at the cross over oil lines and what not, im not worried about the tranny since its a 6 spd, when the clutch starts slipping too much ima get a southbend clutch to handle whatever im throwing at it. just want that mild wild ride ya know, something that has the power to mess around with but not enough to cost me a fortune and cost me my mpg since its my daily
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin18 View Post
im hoping to get either an AFE or S&B but not sure which just yet. im planing on getting a TW chip when i get my new one. I want more than what id gain out of a intake, chip and exhaust but not enough to require headstuds, also been looking at the cross over oil lines and what not, im not worried about the tranny since its a 6 spd, when the clutch starts slipping too much ima get a southbend clutch to handle whatever im throwing at it. just want that mild wild ride ya know, something that has the power to mess around with but not enough to cost me a fortune and cost me my mpg since its my daily
Either of those intakes will work good for you.

The next steps beyond the three basics would be an HPOP, RR fuel system, injectors, and a turbo. With those few things I am sure you will be more than happy with your power.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 AM

what products would you suggest, also what about the oil and fuel cross over lines?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin18 View Post
what products would you suggest, also what about the oil and fuel cross over lines?
Well, that depends on the power you are looking for...

To start, you will not need the oil crossover or the fuel crossover. There is very little gain to the oil crossover, and when you do a regulated return there is no need for the fuel crossover.

You can PM or e-mail me if you would like a specific parts list for the power you are looking for. I don't like to give out generic information for a custom setup because everyone will differ.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A fuel cross over or regulated return setup helps feed the injectors evenly under a high load. If you were to get chip it would keep from starving the rear injectors. Its a good investment but you wont get any power from the upgrade. Methanol injection could help you get a few mpg or a lil power depending on how rich you mix it.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM

thats what i thought, im gunna get a oil and fuel cross lines for now because i cant afford the regulated return fuel system just yet. i dont want to do a methanol injection but thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.