need help choosing hybrids... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help choosing hybrids...

hello all,

i have done lots and lots of reading on this forum and have gained copious amounts of valuable information, but am fairly new to posting.

i have an early 99 f350 6 speed with a service body on it that weighs 11k empty. has 301k on it. it is my daily driver so i am trying to retain drivability and reliability.

i am looking for 500-550hp. here is my plan:

i had carson stauffer build me an s400 mount kit with bellowed up pipes and all the required piping. the turbo he recommended is an s400 68/74/1.10 with a billet aluminum compressor wheel. 5" straight pipe and a BHAF. full RR fuel system, T500 HPOP, and billet aluminum intake plenums. all this stuff is sitting in the shed ready to be installed.

i have decided to go with a dp tuner as i have had good luck with jody's stuff in the past and have read good things about his tunes. i realize there are others out there that are awesome, i am just more familiar with the dp tuner.

so what do i do for injectors? i was thinking 250/100 hybrids...? but i am open to any and all advice. i see swamps offers a 250/200 but no 250/100. ffd offers a 250/100. will one of these be optimal, or do i need to look elsewhere? what kind of hp can i plan on with a setup like this?

also in the plans but not yet ordered are h11 studs and a hf/hv idm from swamps. and gauges of course.

thanks in advance.
max kurkowski
ogallala,ne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just a heads up, if your looking at 500ish power, I'd look at a different tuner route to keep the motor safe. At 500hp tuning is what will keep the motor a safe, and reliable or a grenade waiting to go off.

With a t500 the max injector you can support is a 250/200. I would stick to either a 80% nozzle or a 200% nozzle. The 100% isn't as exact and tuners sometimes have a harder time dialing them in. I would do 200% as it lets you empty the injector faster so you can extend power into higher rpms and keep the destructive low end torque out. Also You will need valve springs, push rods(really are your choice, pick where you want the weak spot in your valve train), and you said you will have a RR but does that have the fuel pump that can deliver enough fuel to hold psi with 250s? the stock pump won't do it.

pm me if I can help any more
Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the help. so which tunes would you all use on a build like this?

max
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM

DP tuned since 2006 with PMR's and still going strong. Laid down 468 HP with 200/80 so you will definitely be over 500 HP.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexpowerstroke View Post
Just a heads up, if your looking at 500ish power, I'd look at a different tuner route to keep the motor safe. At 500hp tuning is what will keep the motor a safe, and reliable or a grenade waiting to go off.

With a t500 the max injector you can support is a 250/200. I would stick to either a 80% nozzle or a 200% nozzle. The 100% isn't as exact and tuners sometimes have a harder time dialing them in. I would do 200% as it lets you empty the injector faster so you can extend power into higher rpms and keep the destructive low end torque out. Also You will need valve springs, push rods(really are your choice, pick where you want the weak spot in your valve train), and you said you will have a RR but does that have the fuel pump that can deliver enough fuel to hold psi with 250s? the stock pump won't do it.

pm me if I can help any more
Dentexpowerstroke, which tuners are best for keeping a motor safe at higher hp/tq levels?

Is PHP a good one? Looking at them for my upgrades next year.

Thanks,
Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm not sure of your budget... international does recommend to rebuild that beast at 350K so if you can do it right wait a bit save a bit more then tear that thing down and clean it and freshen up parts that need it as you put it back together and run another 350k onto that bad boy. I would hate to see all your money go into performance and then your motor take a dump on you and then your flat broke cause you just launched to 500HP without your engine being ready. just something to think about.

Last edited by MyTractorsSexy; 12-05-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
I'm not sure of your budget... international does recommend to rebuild that beast at 350K so if you can do it right wait a bit save a bit more then tear that thing down and clean it and freshen up parts that need it as you put it back together and run another 350k onto that bad boy. I would hate to see all your money go into performance and then your motor take a dump on you and then your flat broke cause you just launched to 500HP without your engine being ready. just something to think about.
Derail alert...

What tractor is in your avatar?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That kind of weight and a stick....plus 500+ HP = disaster...
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM

CT, is there a point at which you do not want to take a stick truck?

I have a ZF6 in my 2000(forged) and I am wondering what I should plan for. Is 450-500hp to much to ask for out of my truck if I add supporting mods which would include a heavy duty cltuch?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Even with a heavy duty clutch... The rest of the drivetrain is gonna be hurting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.