Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo...Headers???

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  strokin_early_99 
#1 ·
I know...Im getting ahead of myself and will not be able to spool it but......have any of you on here Mounted and used an H2E or HX50 (same thing) on a 99-03 PSD. I believe I can get it to lite and I am very interested in purchasing one. My question is...how had are they to mount. I can make the adapter plate but what else need to be changed???

Also: I have been seeing headers for the 7.3. Pros/Cons Please? How much are they?

:thankyou2:

#2 ·
That H2E should be fine. It's designed as a replacement turbo for the late 99+ 7.3L's. It will help if you have an intake, exhaust and a chip. It'll spool up a LOT faster w/ the additional fuel.

On the headers...if your asking, you don't need 'em. Headers aren't going to get you anything powerwise unless you've already dropped $20K+ into your motor. And, since your asking about the turbo, it's safe to assume that isn't the case. Now if your wanting to show your truck and aren't worryed about spending money that isn't making any REAL power...Headers are for you. Headers and a cam are probably the LAST things you'll need when building a 7.3L for MAXimum power!!!

Just for FYI....7.3L headers are going to run you about $1500.

#3 ·
You will have to build or buy a kit to mount the H2e... You need up pipes, colector, Pedistal, oil drain tube and pressure tube, Y pipe and assorted parts and pieces.

Kit complete with turbo can be had for about $2200-$2400

You dont need headers, the highest 7.3's in the country are running stock exhaust manifolds.

#4 ·
:ditto: -- I'd listen to those guys -- they know what they're talking about :)

#5 ·
you dont need the headers but they just look cool and just sayin you got headers on you diesel sounds awsome if i had some i prolly cut out the wheel wells just so you could see those bad boys pokin out but they do cost a lot

#6 ·
Ok guys...thanks for the input! Is there any BUDGET way to mount this turbo> I know, I shouldn't say that word and diesel in the same sentence. I was thinking along the lines of using the stock up pipes and "fabricating" a pedastool. You know, use as much of the factory stuff as possible. Just looking for your thoughts and suggestions!

#7 ·
The bases are totally different. The up pipes are made with different angles bent in them and are shorter than stock. The mounting flange is not a standard T3 or T4 so I don't know where to get the flange. The pedestal is replaced with a 1/2" piece of steel and the flange attaches to the plate. The oil supply line is about 120* from where it comes out of the steel plate. And the oil return line has to go through the mounting plate.

I hope someone knows where to get the parts from. I have looked and have not found.

#8 ·
Man...sounds like you have a lot of experience with this upgrade...of all the things you mentioned, I can only assure one thing. That I can fabricate the mounting flange (adapter.) I was hopng the stock up pipes could be altered, but I guess not. I could handle the oil lines and pedastool also...just those pesky up pipes.

#9 ·
contact hypermax and see if the sell the flange, the flange has the baby butts on it, kind of stock like. Then you can make the plate with the oil lines. bolt the flange to the plate like the hypermax kit does and then start playing with the up pipes to see if you can make them work. Maybe a little bending on a mandrel and cut them down. Could work if you have the facilities and tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.