Why not Superchips? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why not Superchips?

Just purchased a 2001 F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew. Everything on the 7.3 is stock, putting a 4" exhaust on soon. Prior owner had a Superchips Micro Max Tuner that he gave me with the truck. I see a ton of recommendations on the DP chips. I am confused. The Superchips tuner I just plug into the port and it rewrites the program but this DP has a circuit board, what's the deal with that? I think I can trade in my old tuner for a newer Superchips for a couple hundred bucks. Is there some amazing advantage to the DP set-up that would justify the extra expense? It looks like the F6 id $400 without codes? Can somebody explain all this and chime in a/b why Superchips doesn't seem to get any love in the forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:38 PM

im not speaking for the forum.

but my bet would be a canned tune thing.

not many on the site seem to like/support the idea.
my opinion is you need to do what works for you.
a edge tuner (one of the plug in ones like superchips) came with my truck its not as easy to use at the 6pos switches....one day ill upgrade to one, but for now....it works fine for me.

basically what im saying is-

do your thing man.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM

The customer service on Superchips SUCKS....Dont Buy Superchips, just for that reason alone!!!!! DP or TS are pretty good chips, they will give you better power and more options. That my two cents.....
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

But I already have a Superchips (3 programs - Hi Perf, Perf Tow, Safe Tow), my question is what would be the real world gains by switching to DP? I'm trying to make a cost benefit analysis of purchasing a DP or TS as compared to just staying with what I have.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Superchips uses canned tunes, that is one size fits all. They make generic tunes that fool the PCM into doing what they want. A REAL tuner will ask you for your PCM code to make sure they are giving you the most accurate tunes available. Superchips does not. One size fits all is easy, but not the best.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 PM

If your truck is stock leave it but if you do any other upgrades (turbo, injectors, shift kit, etc.) you deff want custom tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 AM

I got a Cortec Superchips and thought it was the bomb. Superchips is not a popular item on here. But as far as customer service I think there quite good. Bottom line is sct 3 custom tunes, ficm upgrade, will put your truck in a different world. If thats all the pocket money you got then use it for now. JMO
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

i had a superchips tune on my old '99, and thought it was awesome compared to stock.... BUT, that was before i really started learning about diesel performance... since then, i have learned tons... one of the most important things is egt's... i would suggest, since you allready have the superchips tuner now, that you get some guages and see what that tuner is doing to your engine, and then decide what you would like to do from there... superchips is notorious for really high egt's....... personally, i would not go with that style of tuner, because you have to stop and screw around with it to change the tune for towing or whatever... and being limited to 3 tunes is lame, especially, as previously stated here, they are "canned tunes"... go with a custom tuner like tony wildman, php, beans.... etc.. get a shift on the fly 6 position chip.... way worth the money! it'll run better, with lower egt's, it will shift better, you can change it whenever, while driving.. you will love it.....
Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not only are they "canned tunes", but they aren't very good ones either It's easy to make more power with just a few simple changes (stuff you can actually do yourself with resistors/diodes) but it takes someone with Real understanding to do it right. You've seen the names, you know who they are, they Don't work for Superchips

Also. their poor programming is awfully hard on the 4R100 (already a weak link for us)...
Old 11-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Not only are they "canned tunes", but they aren't very good ones either It's easy to make more power with just a few simple changes (stuff you can actually do yourself with resistors/diodes) but it takes someone with Real understanding to do it right. You've seen the names, you know who they are, they Don't work for Superchips

Also. their poor programming is awfully hard on the 4R100 (already a weak link for us)...
I have a 4 door dually 2000 7.3 with a mbrp exhaust and an intake. Truck came with a superchips cortex. On the performance setting i was throwing 2 codes and i defaulted to the gas saver tune on there, they both went away(codes). I avg 19mpg on the highway at 55-60 mph (thats calculated not from the mpg readout). Tranny shifts are much more "pronounced", I havent tried any other tunes yet but a beans 6pos is in my future. Only thing i like other then the fact that it was free is that i can check and delete codes. I wouldnt buy one though, there are alot nicer ways to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.