Injectibles? Tuning? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injectibles? Tuning?

Been reading alot on here lately and just need some clarification. Im sure this has been covered before, and i just havent combed through enough threads yet.

Bought my truck with a "funky" injector. My buddy is a master-tech and we brought his scan tool and it appears #8 is out of spec compared to the others. Truck has 170k on it and as far as anyone can tell me they are the origional injectors.

I can get a discount through d&w and have been looking for replacement options. They sell split shot 75hp over stock and single shot 75 hp over stock. The description reads something along the lines of: Stock replacement with the potential to make 75 hp with supporting mods. Somthing along those lines.

The truck is my daily, but i figure if im going to be dropping the coin to replace all the injectors why not spend a little more and have some potential down the road. Ive read that the single shots are more efficient but i will need a tune to use them. Im looking for as little down time as possible and i only get a month off so im trying to get my ducks in a row and parts ordered before i come home.

The questions:
Truck came with a superchips cortex :/. I use the gas saver tune on it. With these new injecors will i need to get a tune prior to driving it (just curious as to what they mean by stock replacement)?
Can i buy a preburnt tune based off of my engine mods, or do i need dyno time? (this tuning diesels is still pretty new to me)

I see alot of reccomendations on tuning already in alot of threads but if anyone wants to throw in their 2 cents on what direction i should be looking in that would be greatly appreciated.

Current mods:
Truck has a k&N (which i plan on changing to a AIS) and a 4" Mbrp turbo back.

Power goals: At this point im just looking for relialbility with the potential to upgrade later on. I just need injectors now and it doesnt make sense to me to buy now and then buy bigger ones later. This will always be a daily for me and im just looking for a little more response and the potential to handle a larger turbo if i end up going that route.

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First off DO NOT buy injectors rated as a hp number, the correct way is CC/nozzle size. That is the first mistake. That 75hp means absolutely nothing to a tuner or to anyone else. When they say a stock replacement that leads me to believe it is a stock injector with a bigger nozzle, that is not a performance upgrade it is actually a downgrade. Look into Swamps, casserly, unlimited or rosewood for injectors. The stock injector setup has 7 ad injectors and 1 ae(also known as the LL, it is in the #8 hole). Yes you will have to have the truck custom tuned in order to run single shot injectors. If you call up a tuner and you know what size injector you are getting they can have you tunes usually within a week. Personally I would recommend gearhead, but beans, php and tony wildman are all really good tuners. If you are wanting to go with a bigger turbo, now or eventually. You have to decide how big of a setup you want to go. Under 450 hp I'd say just drop in a 38r. If you are wanting to go beyond that look into a t4 setup and base the turbo size by the injectors you are looking to get.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 AM

I figured as much. I dont remember seeing a CC rating on their site but i could be mistaken, ill have to look again. Thanks for the input ill check out those other brands today, figured id ask about the ones where i get discount first.

As far as tuning, I can just contact a tuner with my injector size and other mods and he can write me a tune? Is this emailed to me? a chip? The tuning thing for trucks is completely new to me, sorry if this seems a little basic, im about to start digging for articles on here about tuning.

Again thank you for your help.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 AM

It will be on a chip. They just mail it to you. If you call up gearhead you will talk to larz and he can help yoi out.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 AM

thanks, Should have looked a little harder just found about 15 threads that say exactly what you just said.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 AM

ive seen a lot that cylinder 8 comes up as not "running correctly" in a contrubution test. i havent done a lot of research on that topic yet but its concerning why why it does. i almost think it is running but something in the electronics the makes it looks like it isnt contributing. in curious, anybody know what im talking about? and running injectables can be great, but bad to. i ran my 7.3 with powdercoated rods with 50/50 water/meth and threw a rod. horrible deal. ive read alot about water and compaired to nitrous its worse actually. now people can argue that subject but thats what i think.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 AM

mine is a 2000 i gotta check the serial# and see what i got and check the inspection port to be sure. From what i read it looks like theres a good chance its forged. My #8 almost sounded like it was sticking (dead cylinder) when i would start it up, wouldnt stop until you revved it a little or let it warm up. I started using XDP fuel additive and that has drastically cut down on the frequency of these symptoms. I came into this expecting to have to change them, but its an interesting point you make because this isnt the first time i have heard about #8 acting strange.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 PM

put a RR on it and see if that fixes it. The #8 gets starved of oil and fuel due to it being right after #6, the cylinder next to it, in firing order.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM

so those injectors are alliant single shot "75 hp over stock" Nothing about flow rating in the description. Already pretty set on rosewoods, but i do get a discount with D&W. Any input would be appreciated.

any one know anything about alliant? About to email my buddy and see how good the discount is, usually I save some pretty good coin going through him. Of course id spend more for reliability though.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Alliant is a good brand, but the fact that they are 75hp could mean they are stock ad's with a nozzle thrown on them which does absolutely nothing. Stick to a trusted source tho. I have never heard of D&W and will never put injectors in my truck that are rated to a hp number, that seriously means NOTHING. The hp rating doesn't tell you the flow rate or nozzle size, so tuning isn't ever going to be right with them as you don't know the icp and pulse width needed to get the tuning right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.