performance improvements ... what 2 do - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
performance improvements ... what 2 do

Now own a bone stock 2000 F250 7.3 and it runs great. 110K miles and recently got 20 mpg on two 400 mile highway trips. It is however "a bit of a dog" ... a lazy dog when it comes to acceleration. Seems that being a 7.3 this thing would smoke the tires.

QUESTION: What would you suggest I do to improve power, performance, and increase the "fun factor" ?

I am thinking a chip, air intake and undertaking some of the DIY mods you guys recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Intake, exhaust, gauges and a chip is a good place to start. Just make sure you have gauges before you get a chip, have to keep an eye on your pyro. The intake is a pretty easy diy project, as for the exhaust you can just cut out the muffler to get some more flow.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM

thanks. WOW ... you have done a lot to yours. I am looking for a bit more "zip" and for this beast to perform to it's potential. I live in a state that does not do inspections so I could easily open up the exhaust. Already have a guy who can do it.

Worried about "dusting" the motor and some here have said that the aftermarket "K&N" type set-ups can do that, ruining the engine and turbo. Just need to do some more research I guess.

As far as gauges go, what and where would you suggest. I want a chip with a few settings but I do not plan to do a lot of exotic stuff. I have been told that when you give it more air (intake) free up the exhaust, and do a custom tune chip, you get more performance AND better fuel economy. Is that true?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 AM

Look for a dry filer intake, K&N filters are oil charged and the oil does most of the filtering so if the oil were to dry up thats when you get dusting. There is a DIY intake mod, pretty easy and cheap, I'm sure there is a tutorial on here if you search the forums. For the chip Beans ,PHP and a few others have good tunes, just stay away from flash programmers like Superchips.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:35 PM

thanks for the advice.

I saw the thread on the DIY intake and it looks like a good setup. Wish it could be a "cold air" gig.

I have run K&N on other vehicles without any problems. Doing fine on my motorcycle but I bet this truck motor will suck so much air that the oil based filter would have to be monitored much closer.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretpflyr View Post
thanks for the advice.

I saw the thread on the DIY intake and it looks like a good setup. Wish it could be a "cold air" gig.

I have run K&N on other vehicles without any problems. Doing fine on my motorcycle but I bet this truck motor will suck so much air that the oil based filter would have to be monitored much closer.
The Napa 6637 DIY Intake is much better than K&N or really any other brand. If you want to go for a traditional air intake, look at the AEM Stage 2, but you'll be dropping $300 more than the DIY intake. And the DIY intake has more air flow. The cold air up there is great for your motor when it's running (starting not so much, )

Definitely get your gauges in, and make sure the truck is batting 1000. If not, you're going to amplify the problems when you chip. Guys here will recommend PHP, Beans, Gearhead, and Tony Wildman. That's who I'm using Tony Wildman. He does some good stuff with the trans and does great work on the actual motor. They all pretty much do great work.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
thanks for the advice.

If your worried about dusting your motor, check out the Ford AIS intake. Breathes well, looks stock/factory and will filter better than anything out there.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Behavior Modificationist

K&N

Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM

I take it you have the AIS intake. Is it a sold air intake setup? A lot of folks have said great things about it, that it filters well. Does it give more performance as well?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I take it you have the AIS intake. Is it a sold air intake setup? A lot of folks have said great things about it, that it filters well. Does it give more performance as well?
The word is it flows good enough for 400hp engines.

With 190,000miles on my truck and the only mods being 4" turbo back and the As (stock PMT3 tune) it turned 242hp/504ftlbs at the wheels on the dyno at PHP. Ill be putting it on a dyno Saturday with PHPs tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.