Shift Kit questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shift Kit questions

I am thinking about putting a shift kit in my truck, but have little/no experience with them. I drive a 2002 CCSB 7.3 auto 4x4 with 122K. I just got a Edge Juice w/ Attitude from a buddy. He went to a DP tuner. The Juice worked fine for him because he has a rebuilt tranny with all the goodies. The only tranny option on the Juice is to defuel at shifts. My old truck was a F150 and I used a Superchips Flashpaq with it. I could adjust tranny shift points and pressure with that, no such luck now. It worked great for towing/changing back to daily driving. I don't tow a lot, and only 7500 lbs (for now) but I don't want to ruin the tranny. It shifts butter smooth right not. It is also my daily driver and I don't want to have a sore neck. Do you think the kit is in order, if so, do I go with the in-valve bady type or an electric one like the Trans-command from Banks? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you don't want to ruin the tranny I would look into custom tunes and a valve body. Custom tuning is going to be way better for the trans, edge has been known to cause some tranny problems.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Edge doesn't do custom tunes, I asked them. That is why I am thinking about an upgrade to the tranny. I don't want to scrap the Edge already, I just got it. A friend gave it to me. It has 2 of the 3 things I need. 1-Performance tuning, 2- egt, temp and boost gauge, 3-tranny modification. I know there is a BullyDog kit that is only $90, but I think I want the adjustability of something like the Trans Command. That's why I am asking for other experience/opinions.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
keep the insite, get custom tunes, get bts valve body
Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 AM

I think TS makes a trans controller, prob still going to need an upgraded valve body though
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Why would I need custom tunes? Everybody on here always says that. My truck is stock. What would the "custom" part of the tunes be? I would need to get rid of the Edge I just got. That doesn't make sense. The truck the Edge came off had 6637 intake, MBRP exhaust, rebuilt tranny, 6" lift on 35's, ARB lockers front and back, etc. It is a friend of mine and he is a mechanic, said the truck ran GREAT! I just want to know if anyone has experience with the shift kits good or bad. I am not looking for ways to spend money on this truck, just want to keep it in one piece.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM

If it ran great and worked well why did he sell it and get custom tunes?

Something to think about. Edge is junk in these trucks.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:30 PM

Custom tunes take the tranny into account. They will change shift points and boost line pressure to help the tranny live with added hp. The edge won't do that. You asked what was good for the tranny we told you, and now you argue. If you want the tranny to live get a valve body and custom tunes, that the best chance you can give a stock 4r100 with added power.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexpowerstroke View Post
Custom tunes take the tranny into account. They will change shift points and boost line pressure to help the tranny live with added hp. The edge won't do that. You asked what was good for the tranny we told you, and now you argue. If you want the tranny to live get a valve body and custom tunes, that the best chance you can give a stock 4r100 with added power.
I understand that custom tunes take the tranny into account. I get that. What I don't understand is why I would need to scrap the Edge and get something else that is going to do the same thing (plus control the tranny) when I can just add to the tranny. Do YOU have an opinion on the shift kits? I have called two local transmission shops that are recommended, they both said I don't need a TC or valve body for what I am going to pull and how often I will pull it. They both suggested shift kits. Just different brands. I am curious if anyone has had good or bad experience with these kits.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnot View Post
If it ran great and worked well why did he sell it and get custom tunes?

Something to think about. Edge is junk in these trucks.

He is going the twin turbo/second hpop/bigger injector route, along with a bunch of other stuff, and needs the DP with custom tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shift kit, towing, tranny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.