best exhuast for my truck? help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best exhuast for my truck? help

well, in a bout a week if i do good at work making 200$$ a day working on the boat weather permitted, i can order my exhuast. now i have some questions, what is cat back? turbo back? i want a nice loud throaty exhuast, i want one that i can run a muffler and then put a muffler delte peice for it in , an exhuast that comes with a muffler. and that will let alot of smoke out when i tune it. a not so restrictive muffler too. whats a good choice for under like say 500$? 1999 powerstroke 7.3, zoodad mod thats the only mod. thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Conservative and Proud

Bumping this up for ya!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Anything you want... Doesnt say where you live, but judging by the trees I am guessing somewhere that they dont salt the roads in the winter...

Go with any 4" turbo back system, they are all the same as far as flow, I prefer MBRP, but the wifes X has a dimond eye on it...
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM

try Welcome to Farmboys Diesel as I hear he makes a good product and has great prices.

Get a turbo back, or downpipe back exhaust. cat back just replaces the muffler after the catalytic converter, so it is still restrictive but you get a different sound. turbo back 4 inch is probably what you'll want. how loud do you want it? mine is 3.5in downpipe to 4in straight pipe no muffler, no cat, scares little kids.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If you don’t plan on going crazy with mods then just have a muffler shop cut the cat and muffler off and weld a straight pipe in for about $80. This sounds good and not near as loud as you would think and drops egt by as much as 200*. That should handle normal mods with no problem. I have a 4” down pipe with 5” open muffler and 5” out the back and it works and sounds great but cost me around $400 shipping and all and took over a day to install. My buddy has the welded in pipe in his factory exhaust and our performance and egts are very similar. His is quieter in the cab but louder outside, mine has a unique sound that’s hard to describe.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 AM

A turbo back system will bolt to your turbo so runs front to back. A cat back bolts to the catalytic converter and goes back from there. Does your '99 7.3L have a cat? I thought most didn't.....you will get more sound without the muffler if you decide to go that route. Any of this sites supporting vendors should be able to set you up. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.