exhaust brake? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exhaust brake?

I have a 2000 7.3 with auto tranny and was thinkin about about exhaust break because I tow a lot. Anyone think this is a good idea? Or is the exhaust brake with auto tranny bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
If you dont already have gauges get those so you know what your trans is doing. Putting a Valve Body on would help temps and tranny life for a lot cheaper then the exhaust brake. Unless your towing on a lot of hills frequently I personaly dont see the need to spend that much on one. But that is my opinion, nothing agianst them just why spend the money if you dont have to.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 AM

Do a lot of searching. There should be quite a lot on the subject.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I will look into that and yes i have gauges with tranny temp. What exactly duz the valve body do?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM

I would probably just ignore that post. It seemed to have meaningless info that didnt have anything to do with what your asking.

Engine brakes will work ok with an auto trans. You will have to get the torque converter clutch locking up so the engine is actually engaged.
Oh just for clarity, i dont know of an actual engine brake for out trucks. Only an exhaust brake. Wasnt completely sure if that is what you are wanting.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm lookin for an exhaust brake.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM

Sorry man. I have no idea why I thought your first post had "engine brake " in it.
Probably cause I am studying up for a CDL.

So, are you looking aftermarket or converting the ebpv?

There should be plenty on using the ebpv but maybe a lot less on an aftermarket one.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's no problem man what is the ebpv? And what duz it do? I'm sorry Im new to diesels lol I'm mostly wonderin if the exhaust brake down shifts my tranny like the new pickups do or if it uses backpressure in any gear and does not downshift cuz thats what im looking for lol
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Ebpv is exhaust back pressure valve. International went to it for a faster cold weather warmup. This is what makes the LOUD hissing sound from the exhaust when the truck is cold. There are a bunch of threads on rewiring it to function as an exhaust brake.

I wired mine so that I can use as a brake when coasting (let off throttle) and not appling the brakes. My pcm and I think many others, locks the tcc above 40 mph and will keep it locked on decel to take advantage of engine braking. When I energize the ebpv to brake, it works fairly decent for having exhaust leaks.
the other 2 ways mine is wired (on a 3 position double pole switch) is "off" in the off position because I get tired of hearing it! Lol. Last, I have the 3rd position (down) wired to work exactly as ford intended it to.

As far as aftermarket, I have zero experience. I doubt they downshift the trans. It probably locks the tcc but like I said, mine on factory programming, locks the tcc down to 40 mph and if I pull it down to 2nd gear, it will lock back up.

3rd option is a tuner. DP tuner has said that they have a program for doing this but I have no exper with it either.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Got my 01 with a bakes brake on it and love it. Once i switch it on the truck and what ever i'm towing will slow to 25mph and then shut off to use the service brakes only. Yes I have to downshift manually to get slower faster but on a long down hill grade it will hold 65 with my 27' 5th wheel fully loaded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.