Connecting rod questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Connecting rod questions

I got a 02 7.3 and I'm getting to the point where I need to upgrade my rods. And I don't want to spend 2k on forged or billets. So I was thinking about just buying a 94-97 motor and just pulling the rods and swapping them. I wouldn't mind spending 3k on a motor cuz I could build up the heads and all that fun stuff with very little down time for the truck. BUUUT I'm still not 100% knowing of all the mix matched rods and all that. Like if I can take a 94 van 7.3 and use those rods.

Please help me out. I appreciate all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Pretty sure any pre 2001 7.3 rods will work.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 PM

And everything about the rods are the same? Like all the measurements. And what about the heads? They are the same too. Correct. I just wanna be 100% on the fitment before I drop the $$$ for a truck I'm gonna use for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm pushing a good bit of power on pmrs. The best thing you can do is get good tuning, someone that has a track record for holding high hp motors together. To get forged rods the best option is find a lower mileage 94-99 block and just swap the long blocks. If you are at the power level to need forged rods you also will need studs and valve springs. My advice is get a forged rod motor that the heads are still attached(seasoned head gaskets are by far superior than putting new ones in.) studding it, putting in the springs and calling it good.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Well my plan was to get a pre-PMR engine. Pull out the rods. Pull the heads and modify them to handle higher boost/chamber pressure/hp and install new injectors. And then when I get the time just swap everything out. As to reduce the down time of my truck. I'm still not sure as to what should be done to the heads but I figured I'd call up swamps diesel or another reputable shop and ask their opinion.

And as for running high hp on pmrs. I'm too big of a chicken to push them to the max.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Banned

OP, what kinda HP are you running right now that your worried about the PMR's? What mods are done?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Well I've done almost everything I can besides changing turbos, injectors and hpop. And I think once I do anyone of those mods ill be over the suggested 400hp mark. I'm not positive about it since I don't have a shop around me for 100 miles that has a dyno. Which sucks. Cuz I wanna know what my numbers are right now.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayduty View Post
Well I've done almost everything I can besides changing turbos, injectors and hpop. And I think once I do anyone of those mods ill be over the suggested 400hp mark. I'm not positive about it since I don't have a shop around me for 100 miles that has a dyno. Which sucks. Cuz I wanna know what my numbers are right now.

So in other words you have a chip. Depending what kind of chip, you prolly have 320whp. You can add another 100-150whp and 300ft-lbs to that safely.... NO need for forged at this point.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Edge juice (going with a ts when I get injectors.) 6637 intake. 5" turbo back exhaust. Wicked wheel. Ebpv delete. Banks power elbow. Zoodad mod. I think that's all the power mods I've done. And like I said earlier I don't wanna push the tolerance of the rods. I kinda like my block in one piece. My next upgrade is 200/30% hybrid injectors from swamps. Or larger if I I'm feeling friskey. And that'll get me pretty close to or over the tolerance.

Last edited by grayduty; 10-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

Good idea ditching the edge. Those injectors will never work with the stock turbo.. so what turbo are you going with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.