Educate me please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Educate me please

Ok so here is my goal with my 2002 7.3…longevity, and maybe a little more power, and better mileage.
I don’t plan on doing anything extreme with regard to HP or custom tunes, unless the tunes will benefit longevity.

I have moded”
4” exhaust
K&N intake (I know it was a bad choice I made before I joined this forum)
Fuel bowl rebuild with better spring on fuel line

Now I am at a cross road trying to decide on analog gauges or edge CTS.
What is the best way to go with regard to overall cost and monitoring?

I am leaning toward the CTS because I plan on adding a back up camera…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Banned

K&N definitely wont help with longevity one bit.
I'd get real gauges instead of edge for monitoring.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have never had or seen the Edge in a vehicle but i like my analog gauges a lot.

If you have an automatic some custom tunes may help that last a bit longer but not guaranteed.

But if your not looking for much more powere over stock your best option for longivity is a good air filter adn exhaust, lots of people reccomend the DIY 6637, i have done this and after 5K miles i checked my intake tube out and it was CLEAN as new! I did see a bit of oil in there but i havent done the ccv mod yet.

And a straight piped exhaust will help her get all the new air out the 6637 is sucking up which in turn will give you a bit more power, better throttle response and possible better fuel mileage. I see you have a 4" system but you didnt mention if you have a muffler.

I had an AIS intake and 4" system with a turbine and muffler on it when i bought it, did the 6637 and straigh piped my exhaust and saw a 2 MPG increase, when i can keep my foot out of it!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarportMechanic View Post
I have never had or seen the Edge in a vehicle but i like my analog gauges a lot.

If you have an automatic some custom tunes may help that last a bit longer but not guaranteed.

But if your not looking for much more powere over stock your best option for longivity is a good air filter adn exhaust, lots of people reccomend the DIY 6637, i have done this and after 5K miles i checked my intake tube out and it was CLEAN as new! I did see a bit of oil in there but i havent done the ccv mod yet.

I had an AIS intake and 4" system with a turbine and muffler on it when i bought it, did the 6637 and straigh piped my exhaust and saw a 2 MPG increase, when i can keep my foot out of it!
I did the muffler delete on the 4" pipe. I know the K&N isn't the most popular, but I keep it clean and each time I pull it off to clean and oil it, the intake pipes are clean with no dust in the usual places. Where I live in Fl it fairly humid so I think that cuts down on dust....

Is it the consensus that the analog gauges give better readings?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyF350 View Post
I did the muffler delete on the 4" pipe. I know the K&N isn't the most popular, but I keep it clean and each time I pull it off to clean and oil it, the intake pipes are clean with no dust in the usual places. Where I live in Fl it fairly humid so I think that cuts down on dust....

I cant answer this mostly cause i have only had analog in anything I have ever put gauges in.
One thing to consider is that each guage has its own probes and most likley if they go bad only one will go bad at a time but if your Edge unit sh*ts out then you are out all your guages.
I dont know enough about the Edge unit to tell you if its good or not but i know that the analog gauges work great. Some will be more precise than others but that goes with you get what you pay for.
And i love the look of a rig with the pillar pod full of gauges, just looks cool IMO.
My truck came with Banks gauges in it, there not the best you can get but seem to work properly and i have the receipts of when they were installed 11 years ago, still work great, only had to replace a back light on one of them recently.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

You cant look into the heads/cylinders/valves to see how damaged they are. Do I have to start posting pictures of people with toasted motors and turbos from k&n intakes again?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
You cant look into the heads/cylinders/valves to see how damaged they are. Do I have to start posting pictures of people with toasted motors and turbos from k&n intakes again?
Not to get off subject, but I have never see pics of motors toasted from K&N filters. Can I use the K&N setup and just put a different filter on it? like the 6637(?)

Last edited by tallyF350; 10-05-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I got the filter in my sig shipped to my door for under $30 cheap piece of mind in my opinion. I think analog gauges have advantages. in my opinion they are easier to read at a quick glance, they will be easier to read in direct sunlight. and i tend to trust them to last longer than some fancy screen, but that is probly just me.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Not to get off subject, but I have never see pics of motors toasted from K&N filters. Can I use the K&N setup and just put a different filter on it? like the 6637(?)
I havent seen this personally but others have said they used the K&N setup and since it has a 4" tube and the 6637 has a 4" inlet hole they work together quite well. Might have to cut tube up a bit for correct intake placement and angle but i would think a smooth flowing intake tube would be a bit better than the accordian stock tube. Would eliminate some air turbulance at the least.

Oh and you can get these for about $15 on line, NAPA wants like $35 to $40 but like the previous post said, well worth the piece of mind knowing your now breathing dust free air!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes you certainly can use your k&n intake pipe w/ the 6637.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.