ebpv again? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ebpv again?

Just out of curiosity has anyone who has a harsh winter 4 months of below 20 degrees deleted there ebpv and had success im not one to really let my truck warm up i usually leave it plugged in and then start it put on the high idle for 1-3 min then drive to work.... wondering if this will become un doable if i delete it..... my problem is i have an air leak somewhere when im goin on the highway acceleration mostly it sounds like a jet engine or a faucet running from under the hood i cant seem to find where the leak is (exhaust is new).... any suggestions or recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Delete it... I got rid of the EBPV and AIH while living in Alaska, just kept the high idle tune for warm up, and put my block heater on a timer. A little smokey on real cold nights, but no issues.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefson View Post
Just out of curiosity has anyone who has a harsh winter 4 months of below 20 degrees deleted there ebpv and had success im not one to really let my truck warm up i usually leave it plugged in and then start it put on the high idle for 1-3 min then drive to work.... wondering if this will become un doable if i delete it..... my problem is i have an air leak somewhere when im goin on the highway acceleration mostly it sounds like a jet engine or a faucet running from under the hood i cant seem to find where the leak is (exhaust is new).... any suggestions or recommendations
The whooshing noise IS the ebpv... thats not a leak.

I live in Buffalo where we are 20* or below 6mos out of the year. It's already in the 40's here. For a good 2-3mos out of the year, temps are between 0*f and -20*f here in ski country My truck would never get up to temp if I didn't have the ebpv. This year I'm thinking about making an engine cover for it like I've done with my tdi, as that seems to be the way to go. But if you dont have an engine cover, you will never maintain heat while driving in the winter. If anything, put the ebpv on a switch so if it comes on when you dont want it to, you can turn it off.

Last edited by 85_305; 09-27-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Use a grill shield......

20 deg. Isn't that bad, I'm just sayin.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystroke View Post
Use a grill shield......

20 deg. Isn't that bad, I'm just sayin.
I forgot to finish my post. For 2-3months out of the year we sit around 0* to -20* f.... and if I didn't have my ebpv, my truck would NEVER get up to temp.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Them temps are similar, not sure what the difference is, I have an 03, and I put a strip of cardboard behind the grill, warm up took about 20 min. every morning.
Also used power specialties winter additive religiously.
The worst day ive been in was -60 in northern AK and the diesel in the fuel bowl was heavy, almost jelly like... A couple of treatments with Heat and a propane bottle heater and about 40 min. of warm up time and on the way I went. Worst day ever.

Bottom line, it just depends in where you live, most of the U.S. can get by with out the ebpv and IH.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Banned

I've gelled a motor a few times... it sucks ball sack. It IS the worst thing ever.

Regardless, if you do a lot of city driving and no highway driving, the truck will never get up to heat w/out the evpv or at least some cardboard behind the grill.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM

actually im thinking the "noise" is more of a turbo/pedestal issue its more of a gargling noise from around the turbo area not sure if its up pipes or the turbo wheel.... any ideas
Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Stick your hand back there when it's cool of course, feel around, if ur hand comes back soot black, may have a bad/loose up pipe...

If it were the ped, it would be leaking oil

Could also look for a loose exhaust outlet V ban. That would also be soot black as well I'd guess.

What are the conditions when you hear this, idle, rpm, ambient temp, engine temp, under load, towing, etc ?

Last edited by Mystroke; 09-27-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 PM

no intake or exhaust couplers are leaking doesnt seem to be any soot anywhere back there ped is leaking oil i know that needs to be fixed but would that make this gargling/noise.... its under heavy acceleration/or highway acceleration... doesnt matter temp cold or hot does seem to do it worse when the engine is cold.... nothing at idle never towed anything with it lol (just a diesel guy) lol what do you mean by VBAN??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.