Moding an 2000 Excusion, Suggestions Wanted - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Moding an 2000 Excusion, Suggestions Wanted

I have been reading up and trying to study the miltitude of products that are out there to move my Excursion up the food chain a bit as well as increase the milage and towning performance.

These are the items I am set on at this point:
  • A BD Power PressureLoc Transmission Control
  • DP-Tuner Evolution II Customer Tuner (I think this will also cover my guages{egt, boost, etc})
  • 99-2003 AFE stage 2 w/pro-guard 7
The exahust is already a straight pipe but I think it is just the 3.5. Do I need to move to a 4 inch back system? I have read that staright pipe is already 70% increase in flow over straight stock? If I do need 4" Farmboydiesel seems to have some good deals.......not sure if they have any setups for the excursion though?

I am also thinking I will have the turbo rebuilt, that seems much cheeper than moving up to the likes of the 88mm Garret. Any recommendtaions on who I should go with on this or if I should or should not go with the BD superwheel impeller or a vendor who can pro-balance the turbo or whatever?

Anyway, after reaserching this stuff for hours and hours I am finally just laying it all on the table and hoping someone can help.

Thanks for your time and help in this matter,

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 PM

A 4" exhaust may not be a big upgrade over what you have already done. The Stage 2 intake is supposed to be the best for the 7.3. I have gone with the Stage 1's and also liked them. Installing in 5 mins is a plus too! Can't tell you much about the new Evolution YET. Got one in the box ready to install this weekend. I did install a DP chip in one truck this week and loved it. The DP is probably the best chip I ever installed. Farmboys sold me the Edge and an AFE intake this week. The guy is awesome to talk with. The items were sitting on my porch in 2 days.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM

Turbo Rebuild Vendor

Thanks Pooods,

Any site vendors specialize or have a good reputation for rebuilding turbo's?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Shoot me a PM, Come by the house this weekend and check out the wifes X if you want... My truck is still at Performance Authority in Bend getting a new motor, but the wifes is at home...

I prefer a chip over a programer... shift on the fly, more options, and then get a real set of gauges.

Last edited by CSIPSD; 08-16-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:00 AM

ITP diesel does a rebuild kit, but if your turbo is not giving you any issues they dont touch it... You can add a wicked wheel if you want to, but its not going to add any performance, just help with surge.

My wife installed the wheel in her turbo, but now she is running a Turbonetics turbo
Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Guage setup

I like the guage setup, where did you get that and how much?

My excursion is also my wifes, but it sounds like your wife is much more understanding of the technology involved with a chip or a programmer? I was going with the programmer so I could monitor things a little better and not have to worry about one of the kids getting up in the drivers seat and changing things to extreme 140. I also only really need three options, mainly tow and milage with a possible extreme 140 thrown in for the occasional mud pit run? I am also planning on doing most of the work myself so even though the multi-stage chip/ECM moding looks pretty easy the plug and play of the programmer looks even easier.

Do those guages block the trip computer/overhead controls at all....the picture was zoomed so it was hard to see how things looked with the overhead controls and such? I guess pillar mount would work just the same, but since I would be installing it myself I would want at least decent instructions.

Thanks for your time and help,

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Shoot me a PM, Come by the house this weekend and check out the wifes X if you want... My truck is still at Performance Authority in Bend getting a new motor, but the wifes is at home...

I prefer a chip over a programer... shift on the fly, more options, and then get a real set of gauges.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:32 PM

I live out in Alfalfa, off of Todd road, like I said your more then welcome to run out this weekend and look it over. She (my wife) did most of the work herself, including the chip install. The over head pod is my fav, but I have a quad a-pillar, quad overhead, quad dash suround, triplle underdash and a single steering column mounts... The call the the gauge *****...lol
Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to HillBillyDelux555
The aFe Stage 2 is great! Get Autometer guages if you dont get the Evo 2. A chip would be better cause its on the fly, and as for 140 in a mud hole I think that will mess it up I wouldnt do that, but I really dont know. You can just go to a muffler shop and have a 4inch straight pipe put on (mine was $75). Get a 6 inch tip, it will make it sound alot better, and a 4 inch down pipe will lower egts even more......
Old 10-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Starting to sway my direction a bit.......

Well maybe I will go with a chip setup? Looks like with some quality guages there is not much of a difference in price...possibly even cheaper? I don't want to get to invested, but should I be looking at the arp headstuds? most are 3-5 settings ......even found one with up to 16 on the fly settings. Possibly one of the local shop will have something to match the progams to my ride?

Guess I will, take you up on the offer on the X, but I am tied up for the weekend so possibly mid week next week? I see your wife chose the same rims and tires as what I set my wife up with....good taste!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralOregon View Post
Well maybe I will go with a chip setup? Looks like with some quality guages there is not much of a difference in price...possibly even cheaper? I don't want to get to invested, but should I be looking at the arp headstuds? most are 3-5 settings ......even found one with up to 16 on the fly settings. Possibly one of the local shop will have something to match the progams to my ride?

Guess I will, take you up on the offer on the X, but I am tied up for the weekend so possibly mid week next week? I see your wife chose the same rims and tires as what I set my wife up with....good taste!
You dont need head studs until you start playing with injectors and turbos, with the boost getting above 40#...

If it were me I would go with a 4-6 pos chip from Tony at Total Diesel Performance, Jody at DP tuner, or Tadd at Elite Diesel, a AFE stage 2 intake, ATS compressor housing, 4" turbo back exhaust, and a set of gauges from DieselManor - Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™.

This will net you about 300-320hp, great road manors, good towing and milage...

Bring it over, the wife and I will help you do the installs... I have installed about 15-20 sets of gauges, could do it in my sleep.

I am gone during the week, but any weekend is fine. I hope to have my truck back this weekend, should be right at 430-450hp now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.