2000 F350 7.3L PROJECT HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
09pstrokeUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunbury, OH
Posts: 89
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile 2000 F350 7.3L PROJECT HELP

Hey guys,
so i recently purchased a 2000 F350 7.3L. I have been around diesel trucks for probably 5-6 years now i am really just starting to get deep into the performance side. i am looking to enhance the longevity of my engine but know that i want more power also. So i am whiling to give and take. the truck currently has as far as i know, (the dealer i bought it from was a dumb a**), a 6in suspension lift, 35in tires, 20in wheels, 05 front clip, 4in TB exhaust, k&n intake, banks big head waste gate, and i believe a aftermarket spindle-but not sure-,

here are my goals:
gain power- chip/ tuner/ programmer/ engine mods
gain life of engine
reduce problematic areas
replace well know parts that fail
gain MPG
gain monitoring on EGT, Trans temp, boost,


NOW here is the kicker,
What order do i do it in???? bc this is going to be an on going project and its a daily driver, so i cant have it sitting around with the heads off of it , waiting for studs. Also id like to build it in the correct order, as in: i dont want to add a bunch of mods and not have gauges to monitor the engine. <problem waiting to happen.

So when it comes down to it, Where do i start? and where do i finish?
09pstrokeUSMC is offline  
post #2 of 22 Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
897.3alltheway!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 864
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
have to look really good at the tuners out there before buying one
engine life, if the tuner makes it run cooler that's a get go, just the basics don't abuse it and keep up on the maintenance, unless those mods start jacking stuff up
only thing ATM i can think of parts wise if brakes shoes( if its drum) or discs for cracks and such and tires after a while, MPG wise again what ever tuner you get can help with MPG, with a lift and those tires only a little only other thing is to get it re geared,

order wise
chip/tuner
change parts
then the monitoring stuff

some of the chips or tuners obviously can jack with the motor or trans so you need to see if if your truck can even handle it

-Jeremy

Got A Few Rides...




897.3alltheway! is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
09pstrokeUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunbury, OH
Posts: 89
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks, any recommendations on tuners? i been lookin at beans
09pstrokeUSMC is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beans is the way to go. Good start. Ditch the k&n... will dust your motor and turbo. Replace w/ a 6637.
85_305 is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
CowboyCody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oil patch, North Dakota
Posts: 664
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09pstrokeUSMC View Post
Hey guys,
so i recently purchased a 2000 F350 7.3L. I have been around diesel trucks for probably 5-6 years now i am really just starting to get deep into the performance side. i am looking to enhance the longevity of my engine but know that i want more power also. So i am whiling to give and take. the truck currently has as far as i know, (the dealer i bought it from was a dumb a**), a 6in suspension lift, 35in tires, 20in wheels, 05 front clip, 4in TB exhaust, k&n intake, banks big head waste gate, and i believe a aftermarket spindle-but not sure-,

here are my goals:
gain power- chip/ tuner/ programmer/ engine mods
gain life of engine
reduce problematic areas
replace well know parts that fail
gain MPG
gain monitoring on EGT, Trans temp, boost,


NOW here is the kicker,
What order do i do it in???? bc this is going to be an on going project and its a daily driver, so i cant have it sitting around with the heads off of it , waiting for studs. Also id like to build it in the correct order, as in: i dont want to add a bunch of mods and not have gauges to monitor the engine. <problem waiting to happen.

So when it comes down to it, Where do i start? and where do i finish?
what order, new air filter first, 2nd gauges, 3rd some custom tunes. see if you are happy with it at that point any further and it gets expensive. the 7.3 dosent have a lot of problem areas the CPS has caused a few problems, the tubo pedistal likes to leak, the fuel bowl can leak but all in all its as problem free as anything. if you want it to last drive it nice and do the maintenance and it will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post
Try spinning a turbo with compressed air and hit it with diesel clean as you inhale at the turbo outlet, I call it a turbo bong.........that's some good stuff, makes you come up with all kinds of crazy ideas.


2010 F450 Super Duty Lariat Ultimate, 140,xxx Miles. 5" DP Back. Black Maxx. AFE Pro 5R Stage 2. ARP studs new heads and gaskets.
CowboyCody is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
897.3alltheway!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 864
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
everyone bashes on super-chips, i run that and it works fine

-Jeremy

Got A Few Rides...




897.3alltheway! is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 09-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Because they produce high egt's, they abuse and destroy auto trannies, and they produce less power than custom chips.
85_305 is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
CowboyCody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oil patch, North Dakota
Posts: 664
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 897.3alltheway! View Post
everyone bashes on super-chips, i run that and it works fine
no one said it dosent work, it is just that there are better options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post
Try spinning a turbo with compressed air and hit it with diesel clean as you inhale at the turbo outlet, I call it a turbo bong.........that's some good stuff, makes you come up with all kinds of crazy ideas.


2010 F450 Super Duty Lariat Ultimate, 140,xxx Miles. 5" DP Back. Black Maxx. AFE Pro 5R Stage 2. ARP studs new heads and gaskets.
CowboyCody is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
blue99stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 4,950
Thanks: 18
Thanked 210 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
maybe look into getting an upgraded torque converter and valve body for the transmission.
and just do the usual maintenance lol i.e. diferentials, transmission and so on.
also gauges are a must if you wanna run a chip, egt, boost and trans temp gauges.
autometer and isspro are good brands of gauges. glowshift gauges just don't last.
many places sell these parts, riffraffdiesel, xtremediesel, stricly diesel are a few places. to look for parts.
a good place to get a chip would be beans, dp-tuner, php, tony wildman and there are more.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4 258k
PHP Phoenix, S&B CAI, 4" TBE, Hpx, Stancor, RR Billet Wheel, AIH Delete, Autometer Gauges, Leveling kit, Transgo kit, Warn Hubs, Int'l Up-Pipes, RR IC Boots, Non-Ebpv Pedestal, High Flow Outlet, RR OCR, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dad-2000 7.3 109k miles, Autometer Gauges, Superchips 1705, AIH Delete, 6637, 4" TBE, BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max

Last edited by blue99stroker; 09-14-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: change
blue99stroker is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
09pstrokeUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunbury, OH
Posts: 89
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was looking into glow shift, for a set of gauges, looking to monitor boost, EGT, trans temp. Any other recomendations on what to watch other than those?
And i will def be getting a beans 6 position for it, any recomendations on torque convo? Ats purple is good, but are u paying for the name or color or product life???

Thanks for all the help.
09pstrokeUSMC is offline  
Reply

Tags
2000 , 7.3l , f350 , powerstroke , tuner

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome