Questionable shifting... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questionable shifting...

Well I installed my 4" turbo back straight pipe, DIY cold air intake and a TS 6 pos. chip. I'm happy with the sound and overall performance (on demand), however I'm not haappy with the way the trans acts at any of the 6 positions on the chip. At a couple of the positions the tranny shifts too early and too hard for given throttle positions (like barely above idle 1500). Also shift points are very early at low RPM as well. Any thoughts? I don't want to put the weak link in my drive train (trans/converter) at risk of early failure. Truck has just 63K on it. It's an 03 w/ the 4R100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to add the chip is: #1 stock,#2 fast idle, #3 +50, #4 +75, #5 +100, #6 +140.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a canned tune chip by diablosport that most definitely contributed to the demise of my transmission. If you feel it is acting improperly and feels damaging, head my warning and quit using it now. Transmissions arent cheap. Save yourself some money in the long run, and gain some performance too boot by sending it in to anyone of the ts style chip tuners if you can afford it.

Some great tuners of the TS style chip are

Tony Wildman
Bill at Power Hungry Performace (doesnt do reburns of third party purchased chips now though)
Jonathan at Beans Diesel Performance
Matt at Gearhead Performance

There are many other tuners out there too, these are just a few I am more informed about.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Custom tuning has way different shifts and you can talk to the tuner about it. May want to look into one of the mentioned tuners.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Banned

Ditch that canned crap. Thats the problem.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good topic because I want to buy a tuner or chip as well and I was leaning towards the TS as well. So this chip is not good, reviews were as good as the $800 products.

If this is not good for $250, what are some that are good and how much are the ones tried and true? Also, what brand, make or model? I am very curious because I once had a Dodge ram that I spent $7k on and supercharged it. Again, "I used to have". that was an awful section in my life. SMH!!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistling 7.3 View Post
Good topic because I want to buy a tuner or chip as well and I was leaning towards the TS as well. So this chip is not good, reviews were as good as the $800 products.

If this is not good for $250, what are some that are good and how much are the ones tried and true? Also, what brand, make or model? I am very curious because I once had a Dodge ram that I spent $7k on and supercharged it. Again, "I used to have". that was an awful section in my life. SMH!!
Call up Gearhead, Tony wildman, beans, or php. Those 4 tuners are the best in the business imo. I wouldn't trust driving a truck with tunes from anyone else other than those guys.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistling 7.3 View Post

My life was hell back when I owned a cummins ram also

Beans or Tony Wildman are the bosses at 7.3s though.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 PM

i just purchased my 03 7.3 from my fiance's grandpa. He had the basic superchip in it that he has always left, and still is, set in economy (fuel saver) mode...how bad is this chip? would i be better off removing it? I am getting 21mph though which seems to be pretty good compared to some of the other mpg postings i have seen on here...
Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 AM
Banned

21mpg hand-calc'd? 6spd? 2x4?

I would yank it out and get custom tunes. Custom tunes will get the same or better mpg, more power, takes better care of auto tranny, lower egts etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.