A Few Questions on Driveability.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A Few Questions on Driveability..

I have been reading a lot of post lately, There is unlimited knowledge on this site I just cannot find the direct answer I'm looking for.

My Vehicle, 2003 F250 7.3l, Auto, 4x4, 87K miles, 4 Exhaust, open Intake, I Run Lucas and Diesel clean in fuel.

#1. I would like to have a bit better throttle responce Off idle. My 7.3 is a bit sluggish until about 1400-1500rpm and the turbo gets going. I have heard That banks makes a Quick Turbo that is suspose to help this. Is there another one by some one else that will solve the slow start? I know is a diesel not a hot rod. Just I have drive a 2006 dodge 5.9l and holy crap I just touch the throttle and the tires were rolling. I want the same thing.

#2 I bought a Scorpion Tuner( I know there are better tuners) to try out, I didn't want to spend 400-500 bucks on a tuner and not get the desired outcome. With the Tuner I have it like driving a 2 stroke truck. The power comes on quick about 1500rpm but still nothing below that.

I may be asking to much from my Truck, I'm not looking for a Drag Truck. I have a 10,000lb boat and it pulls it just fine even stock, I just drove that darn Dodge and want the same throttle responce form 700-3200. I had a 4" exhaust and open intake also, No chip just the H.O. 5.9l cummins.

Thanks for the help. There are so many parts. I'm willing to spend the money to get it right I just don't want my truck undriveable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

A cheap and easy mod that might help your low end lag is unplugg the red air pressure line that goes to your wastegate controller on the turbo and stick it over the clamp bolt on your intercooler boots. That will hold the wastegate closed longer to help build boost faster. Also get gauges if you don't have them. Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you have any pics on how to do that? I was just looking around and see the Banks Big head Waste gate Accuator. Would this do the same thing? I'm not againts cheap mods, I just need pics or a detailed explaination on how to do it.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get an edge evolution plug and play and set it on 2 and you'll get power.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Its really easy I will get some pics and explain it to you it takes more time to open your hood and climb up on the motor then it does to unplugg
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
dont get the banks stuff... too expensive... you can get an ATS housing and a WW... that will make your turbo spool up faster.... i agree with the edge EVO... we have almost exactly the same truck with same miles and mine has a lot of throttle response
Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

The first pic is the turbo....I know dah Bear with me hahaha. Okay if you look at the round thing on the top right of the turbo that is the wastegate actuator it has a spring inside that is connected to a rod that actuates the wastegate valve to relieve excess boost from the turbo. The red line is connected to this actuator you will plainly see it when you open the hood it has a little black rubber boot end that fits over the little nipple. Remove that and place it over any bolt or nut end that will fit so it doesn't get full of gunk. If you look at the second pic you will see on the intercooler pipe on the driverside right above the blue boot is the clamp that I have mine on. It fits like its supposed to be there. Try it out if it doesn't give you the desired results you can always put it back on

Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think I will also order the Turbo Master Wastegate Controller to. I have just been reading a lot about it on here and other sites. It looks like it solves some of the stock Turbo idle lag problems. I have heard about the Edge Evo, I wanted to try something cheap with the scorpion and thats is what I got. It works ok, I beleive the Turbo wastegate is my next project. If that don't work then I'll do something else.

I figured out what your talking about the red line to the Wastegate. I'm just leary of unhooking it and not hooking it back up. Will that hurt anthing? The Turbo master controller uses all the stk stuff and just mods it to work like it is suspose to and for 139.95$ thats not bad. I have a wife and 2 kids need I say more about diesel funds, My only advantage is my wife loves my truck she likes the way it sounds.

Keep any suggestions comming the easy and cheap ones i will try first..

Thanks again..
Old 10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you have that ATS on your truck? How did it do?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
ive unplugged mine... over a year ago and its working fine... just plug it back into one of the boots bolts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.