opinion on stacks vs no stack - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
opinion on stacks vs no stack

I'm tossing around the idea of putting a single stack on my 99 reg cab. I'm thinking about a 6 inch black or black chrome mitre cut about in the middle of the passenger seat. Also thinking about leaving the stock exhaust with a muffler delete. What are your guys thoughts on this? All opinions will be considered. In the near future I'll be installing gauges and a 6 position chip if that helps. Thanks
post #2 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just took my stacks out, loved the look but me having a short bed they definitely got in my way on several occasions. They are also fairly loud, it's cool at first but it eventually becomes annoying, I thought I would worry about the hole in the bed but I just went for it and cut it and it didn't affect me at all. To patch it I just took a piece of steel and sprayed it with duplicoler bed liner and used self tapping screws and screwed it down, only telling you that so the hole won't discourage you. Single stacks look bad *** IMO, if it's something you like the look of go for it, just helping weigh the pros and cons. Also if you do it make sure you rig up a heat shield of some kind, something will melt to that thing faster than you can say dammit I just melted something to my stack.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

post #3 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Stacks are cool in certain trucks depending on the style. I've ridden in a few trucks with em and I know the drone would get old as funk after a while....but there's nothin like the sound of a straight piped 7three. I vote muffler delete!

12TH Man
Live in WA or OR??? Check out these links.
Cascade Coal Rollers
CCR Chat Thread
post #4 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I have a single six inch miter cut love the sound I have four inch turbo back. Just cover it at night even the dew setting in will make for a mess and my trucks white

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2000 f-350 4x4 extended cab, went from a flatbed work truck to what you see now, all done by me. Early 99 engine, heavy duty low stall converter, rebuilt trans, all new uvch, rebuilt injectors, all new icp, idm, cps, hutch mod, k&n intake, white valve covers, wicked wheel, 5 inch exhaust, php hydra chip 15pos, 16 inch bullet hole rims painted gloss black, 33x10 wild country mtx, lowered the back level
post #5 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray-4ray View Post
I have a single six inch miter cut love the sound I have four inch turbo back. Just cover it at night even the dew setting in will make for a mess and my trucks white

What do you mean make a mess? I was planning on adding a stack soon and have a white truck.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Cody Ryan
03 f250 ccsb fx4 7.3
4" RC lift
35x12.50 federals on 20x12 rockstars
6637 intake, straight pipe
full RR w/ fuel bowl delete.
rebuild coming soon

post #6 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Get ready to wash it every other day the soot goes everywhere get caught at wal mart and let it rain for five mins while you inside shopping and when you start it up there you go a " mess". I carry a roll of alluminum foil around with me to cover it when I stop I need to find a lil metal bucket

2000 f-350 4x4 extended cab, went from a flatbed work truck to what you see now, all done by me. Early 99 engine, heavy duty low stall converter, rebuilt trans, all new uvch, rebuilt injectors, all new icp, idm, cps, hutch mod, k&n intake, white valve covers, wicked wheel, 5 inch exhaust, php hydra chip 15pos, 16 inch bullet hole rims painted gloss black, 33x10 wild country mtx, lowered the back level
post #7 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 PM

I saved my four inch pipe it will problably go back on soon I was lucky. The stack was free all I have is 150 in hooking it up lesson learned I guess lol

post #8 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Personally I love the look and sound of stacks. It seems lately everyone is cutting up guys running stacks, when two years ago "everyone was doing it". My only reasoning for not stacking it is I use my bed often and with the box in there I think it will look dumb pusing the tool box back 6+ inches. The soot issue bothers me too. However to be different I debated going dual 4" with pop tops. I love the "ting ting ting" at idle of the poppers.

1997 f250 extended can SRW 4x4 7.3 turbo, e4od (mildly built up)
DP Tuner F6 tuned by Jody
Rosewood stage 2 180/80 injectors
Diy intercooled
BHAF
4" straight pipe
Swamps IDM
Glowshift pyro, boost, tranny temp and fuel pressure gauges
AIC mod
Diesel site coolant filter
2" body lift and 35" Wrangler Dura Trac's

For Sale: E4od "Punisher" valvebody $150 obo
post #9 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have a 5" Aussie and will be making a 7" CAT stack before too long. I love the sound and I don't get a drone. Mine is in the corner, and I ran the pipe straight to the corner of the bed so I didn't loose bedspace - I figure if I'm driving a land yacht I better be able to throw plywood in it and close the tailgate.

wade
97 F350 CCLB srw 4x4
3" downpipe , gutted EBPV,5" stack
autometer sport-comp trans, pyro, boost, oil psi, volts
billet TC, aux trans filter, transgo tugger
pro-comp 16x10 series 98's,Hankook 285 AT's
Rosewood premium 1.5's
E-fuel
SD intercooler
Tony Wildmans tunes

When I find the time: home built front bumper, 7" CAT stack
post #10 of 38 Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think unless you have a need (track rules or hauling) they have become way over done.

Sold 2001 f250 ccsb 4x4 400/400, dual terminators, swamps 80mm bfh, headers, bts and all the usual supporting mods. 715hp fuel only.

06 f250 ccsb king ranch

12 f250 lariat ultimate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode