Mod questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mod questions

I finally have some extra cash about 1500 to do some mods to my truck as of now everything is stock except a 6637 intake and muffler delete , so far I would like to get a set of guages , I Think im going to go with dp for my tunner dont no what tunes yet but nothing crazy , I also have been thinkng about getting a bts vavle body but with about 143,000 on the stock trans I dont know if its worht to spend the money ? Does anyone have any suggestions if its worth to go with a vavle body at this mileage and if there is anything else i should think about getting to wake my truck up ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get a valve body, the other tuners I would look into are gearhead, beans, or tony wildman (I'm not real big on DP). After that really not much else you can do performance wise for the left over money. You may end up wanting to get a wicked wheel or ported comp housing to fix turbo surge if you have it.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could get a FRx and hpop crossover. Smooth out the engine and help with fuel supply.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-06-2012, 12:40 PM

might as well save and get a full rr. Frx is nice but doesn't work as well as a true rr
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 PM

between dp and the other custom chips out there what is the best overall one and why
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 PM

There is no best. Personally I would only run TW, gearhead or beans. Best tuner are the guys that have proven that they can keep motors together.

Last edited by dentexpowerstroke; 09-07-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 AM

I did a lot of research on tuners and ended up ordering my dp tuner this week. The customer service at DP swung the bar for me. However pretty much all the mainstream tuners can write you some great stuff. You could talk to bill at power hungry performance as well, he offers 6 custom tunes on a ts chip for $295 which would give you more wiggle room for mods.

Hell, you could order a chip from php for 295, rosewood stage 2 budget injectors for 885 (downtime involved) and some Glow shift gauges and be under budget before tax, if you are subject to it.

However I would recommend a aftermarket downpipe and 4–5 inch exhaust as a very worthy upgrade, and fairly inexpensive.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 AM

Yeah that's a horrible idea... there is way more to it than just throwing tunes and injectors in. Btw its not 295 for a php chip if it's after market injectors. What will you do about a turbo? My stock turbo wore itself out in about 5k miles on stage 2s. How will you hold fuel pressure with them? Thats a few hundred for a fuel system. When the hpop isn't holding pressure with said injectors what do you do about that? there's another $450+ to fix that.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexcoalroller View Post
Yeah that's a horrible idea... there is way more to it than just throwing tunes and injectors in. Btw its not 295 for a php chip if it's after market injectors. What will you do about a turbo? My stock turbo wore itself out in about 5k miles on stage 2s. How will you hold fuel pressure with them? Thats a few hundred for a fuel system. When the hpop isn't holding pressure with said injectors what do you do about that? there's another $450+ to fix that.
If be wants to make power its going to be an ongoing thing. You are right on the php cost not including tuned for injectors, that's my bad. However any tuner can tune in stage 2's with a stock turbo and 17* HPOP just fine. Sure you won't be using the injector to its full potential, but it is still a hell of an upgrade that can be improved as funding comes available.

Wait just a second. Pot, meet kettle. Right out of your sig.

_ 2001 f250 ccsb 4x4, forged SN# but pushing the limits on pmrs, 4' exhaust, 6637, WW, hpx, gearhead tunes, Glowshift gauges, FTVB, tru-cool 40k trans cooler, casserly 180/100, on the way: RR, turbo, hpop

Upgraded injectors? Check.
Stock turbo with wicked wheel? Check
Stock fuel system? Check

What's that terrible idea again? Everyone starts somewhere. I was throwing out an example. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that your sig is old and not updated since you melted your turbo. However the basic setup I mentioned was good enough for you at one point. Sure it's not optimal but with time, and understanding of what may be needed in the future its absolutely feasible.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 AM

Idk if this is going to double post, my comp just went retarded.

Yes sig is out of date a little, never come over here. After previous experience I wouldn't run injectors unless you have the necessary mods. Stock fuel pump won't hold pressure, stock hpop won't hold icp, and my stock turbo wastegate was stuck open 80% of the time. Hybrids would be the best option for detuning. The reason I didn't upgrade yet was I didn't know the end goal yet. Didn't want a set up that would only last a few months before it changed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.