intake and exhaust stack help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
intake and exhaust stack help

My 99 psd is bone stock and I would like to change that fairly quickly. I would like to get a sct programmer. I have one for my mustang gt and I'm very pleased with it. I know I've read on here that people tend to lean towards chips but I'd like to stick with the sct programmer. I would also like to put some type of CAI on my truck. I saw that there is a cheap DIY 6637 one you can do. Will spending the money for like a spectre be any better than a home made one? I also would like to put a stack on mine. I haven't determined if I want a single stack or two stacks. I like the look of the single black but I also like the double black. Any input on these would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

programmers are foolish. get a custom tuned chip.

CAI are useless on an intercooled diesel. the 6637 is a great way to go. or the ford AIS if you want to spend more money

single stacks are cool, i have dual stacks on my truck and they look great. either way you win with that.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
Diesels are a completely different animal then a Mustang. Chips are the way to go for diesels. As for stacks id go for the duals they look much better then a single stick. I ran a single on mine for a day, and hated the look of it i couldnt wait to finish welding my T-pipe for the duals.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:04 AM

Stacks make a truck look trashy IMO, and your not only looking for how cold your intake is, but how fast you move it to. I have a single 4" intake with a spectre filter, makes the turbo sound whistley as sheet.

As for a tuner, PHP, sct, beans, swamps, DP, tw, TS, gear head, etc.
Is jut up to your personal preference.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrexs View Post
Stacks make a truck look trashy IMO, and your not only looking for how cold your intake is, but how fast you move it to. I have a single 4" intake with a spectre filter, makes the turbo sound whistley as sheet.

As for a tuner, PHP, sct, beans, swamps, DP, tw, TS, gear head, etc.
Is jut up to your personal preference.
My old man gives me crap for them all the time, his favorite line is big stacks equal tiny penis. I respect your opinion and agree with it to a point on stacks making a truck look trashy, some do some dont. As for CAI it wont make any differnce the air will be the same temp going into the engine no matter what intake you have. Like you said its about the volume of air your giving it and how well it is gotten rid of.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Get DP-Tuner! I got DP Tuner and 5 inch straight pipe and 6 inch dual stacks.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

PHP is great also. Bill knows his stuff.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:32 PM

I've noticed from other threads that people go with a chip instead of one that you plug into your ODB 2. Why is that? I am fairly new to diesels, but my cousin isn't and he has been helping me out along with you guys.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarguy91 View Post
I've noticed from other threads that people go with a chip instead of one that you plug into your ODB 2. Why is that? I am fairly new to diesels, but my cousin isn't and he has been helping me out along with you guys.
Chips are programmed specificly to your truck as where as programmers have set tunes for any vehical aka canned tunes. Programmers you also have to stop and wait to set up the program as where chips you just turn the knob and boom the power is there. Most chips come with 6 positions as compaired to programmers that usally only have 3.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Strokin_ur_Cummins View Post
Chips are programmed specificly to your truck as where as programmers have set tunes for any vehical aka canned tunes. Programmers you also have to stop and wait to set up the program as where chips you just turn the knob and boom the power is there. Most chips come with 6 positions as compaired to programmers that usally only have 3.
Oh I see. Personally I wouldn't need to change anything on the fly. I won't be doing much towing in the first place. 3 tunes would be enough for me, but I can see how a chip would be quite useful for someone that uses it for towing and what not. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.