Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Spectre cold air intake?

16K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  winston427 
#1 ·
I just bought a Spectre cold air intake and was just wondering what you guys thought about it.

#3 ·
Yea i just noticed that today when i hit 6th on the interstate the turbo really spooled up good. i was almost worried haha.

#5 ·
And after any amount of mileage it will dust your turbo. If you can't afford to do stuff the right way don't do it. It's a lot more to fix the stuff all the cheap stuff will break. Spectre has huge holes in it, I would never run one on my truck. You might as well just run no filter.

#6 ·
Dust the engine, hell with turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#8 ·
I ran a specter for a year and checked and cleaned every month and my turbo look new still no dust at all but just to be kosher with everyone I put a 6637 but the 6637 dosent seem to flow as well as my spectre I might put it back on

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#9 ·
^ Do you know how check the compressor wheel? i.e. look to see if that compressor wheel looked like it was sharp on the edges? the way dusting work is like sandblasting, if you will, it wears the turbo down over time. Have you pulled anything deeper in the motor to see if you have damaged anything internal? I see through a spectre filter, tell me if my eye sight is good enough to look through it don't you think dirt and dust can get through?

#11 ·
As a matter of fact I have been deeper inside last year I pulled the turbo and changed the pedestal o rings and everything looked new matter of fact while I had it off a had a diesel shop check the turbo just to see while I had it out if I needed to rebuild it. We actually run a k an n on our tug boats and have been running them for ten years now and I am the port captian of our boats I do all the matinance and mechanic work and I have yet to see a bad turbo but to each his own I tend to be very meticulous about my truck I change the oil once a month and the tranny fluid every third oil change and clean the filter every month but I do believe in the wrong hands and environment dusting can happen

#12 ·
Do your tug boats deal with dust and dirt all the time? And spectre is worse than k&n there is a reason they are cheaper. But whatever I guess you are the expert on them since you're the one that wasted money on it, hell what do i know about a 7.3 or any diesel for that matter.

#13 ·
Yea we deal with dust allot I'm not condoning spectre I was just stating that I ran them for along time with no bad results. I didn't want to start a argument I was just saying with the proper matinance they work well at least for me

#14 ·
#17 ·
I just put a 6637 filter in place of the old spectre that came on my truck. And the 6637 clearly flows more.. Truck dosnt smoke when I floor it in o/d any more and the turbo spools a lot quicker.. But you can't hear the turbo as well.

#18 ·
My 00 F350 had a Spectre filter on it when I bought it. No intake kit, just the filter and It was really dirty. 11 days ago I bought the full kit (if only I had known better) and installed it. Yesterday, after only 10 days of running with it, the rubber part of the filter that clamps onto the intake tube disintegrated and was sucked into my turbo. I don't have to tell anyone what happened at that point. My truck is no sitting at a diesel repair shop with a $2300 estimate for repairs and the battle has begun to make Spectre pays for these damages caused by their faulty product. The bigger battle will be getting the claim resolved quickly because every day my truck is down I lose $1000 in income and the bills don't get paid when the truck is parked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.