160/30 vs 160/100 vs 238/100 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
160/30 vs 160/100 vs 238/100

Trying to make this decision so that I can finally move forward with the parts. The truck is my daily driver but I do not care about fuel economy (I only get 12 no matter how I drive anyway). I do tow occasionally (between 3-10k). Yes I know I more than likely have PMR's (that is one of the reasons why I am looking at the hybrids) until I rebuilt the engine with forged rods. I plan on running an S366 with Irate's T4 mount, as well as an SRP1.1. Full fuel system is in the works as we speak, as well as a clutch. Just looking for opinions at this point. Yes I know the power levels that each one can make and not going for any power level in particular. I have a 71 Mach 1 that makes 500 rwhp, I do not need a hot rod truck, just looking to make it more fun to drive, and have more power for towing. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you are only getting 12mpg, something is probably wrong with your truck.

Since you just want fun and towing, just go stage 1's. If you wanted 238's you might as well gt the 250's for the same price.
If you know you might want more later nd plan for forged rods, I say get the 250/100's and detuned them for your pmr's. This is what I have done. When I build the motor, I just pay for new tunes and be one.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
If you are only getting 12mpg, something is probably wrong with your truck.

Since you just want fun and towing, just go stage 1's. If you wanted 238's you might as well gt the 250's for the same price.
If you know you might want more later nd plan for forged rods, I say get the 250/100's and detuned them for your pmr's. This is what I have done. When I build the motor, I just pay for new tunes and be one.
That is kind of what I was thinking. How well would the 238's or 250's tow? Would be okay with good tuning? Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 AM

I have not towed yet but there are many people running 250's without issues. The 100% nozzles are supposed to be better than 200% for towing. Plus your tow tunes will not be full power, probably 400hp or less, especially with pmrs. I will look, Beans has a power chart of estimated power differences for ea tune, but thats not detuned for pmrs either.

I am sure Jody can set you up on your dp.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Emergency Services

According to beans tow is 350 and heavy tow is 315. Do I am sure that everyone else is close to that. I am going to run either PHP or beans tunes. Probably php at this point as I have driven a truck with them and like them a lot better than my dp tunes.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-17-2012, 12:30 PM

I agree. I love my PHP tunes; night/day different from DP IMO. PHP is much more driveable.

I need some fine tuning on my custom tunes, but Beans has excellent tunes as well. I think they are slightly more aggressive than PHP tunes. Either choice will make youhappy and hp will be similar.
Supposedly Beans makes the most power per tune, but I think its negligeable in the real world.

I went for the PHP FU chip so I can download tunes and had a chance to try different tunes before getting my custom tunes for my mods. Its really nice to just be able to access their server for the tunes.
I went with Beans because I get the tunes emailed, they dropped their prices, and I am exploring what ea tuner has to offer.

I sold my DP cheap ($250 iirc) to help pay for my php chip. I just wanted it sold fast. I ended up selling to a guy local to my state. we met approx 30 mins from my house, I installed the chip for him and we were both happy. I ended up selling him my IH up-pipes as well when I changed turbos. He did not have the same issues as I did and he is very happy with his DP chip. Worked out great cause he had the same code family as I have. He got a killer deal for a $500 chip/switch.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
I agree. I love my PHP tunes; night/day different from DP IMO. PHP is much more driveable.

I need some fine tuning on my custom tunes, but Beans has excellent tunes as well. I think they are slightly more aggressive than PHP tunes. Either choice will make youhappy and hp will be similar.
Supposedly Beans makes the most power per tune, but I think its negligeable in the real world.

I went for the PHP FU chip so I can download tunes and had a chance to try different tunes before getting my custom tunes for my mods. Its really nice to just be able to access their server for the tunes.
I went with Beans because I get the tunes emailed, they dropped their prices, and I am exploring what ea tuner has to offer.

I sold my DP cheap ($250 iirc) to help pay for my php chip. I just wanted it sold fast. I ended up selling to a guy local to my state. we met approx 30 mins from my house, I installed the chip for him and we were both happy. I ended up selling him my IH up-pipes as well when I changed turbos. He did not have the same issues as I did and he is very happy with his DP chip. Worked out great cause he had the same code family as I have. He got a killer deal for a $500 chip/switch.
Good to hear. Yeah I was going to try and do the same thing. Sell the DP tuner to help pay for the new chip. I was going to get the FU2 from PHP I think. Expensive but I love the fact of never having to send the chip back again.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Crewcab7.3 View Post
Good to hear. Yeah I was going to try and do the same thing. Sell the DP tuner to help pay for the new chip. I was going to get the FU2 from PHP I think. Expensive but I love the fact of never having to send the chip back again.
This is exactly why I got the FU. I had the chance to try different tunes and decide what I liked. I jumped into injectors, turbo, tranny right after getting the chip, so It was nice to order my custom tunes and get them about a wk later.

If you think about it, its a great deal. 20ish tunes for your truck any time for $295 and $200 for a ts burner. The burner is the only reason why it cost $495.

I still have access to my standard tunes and different versions of my custom tunes. The site says you will lose standard tunes, but its not true.

I also got beans tunes emailed to me and I burn them with the burner I got from PHP using ts software. Its an ideal option if you know you will be doing different mods to the truck in the future.
If you know for sure you will never go above minor mods, then Phoenix or other ts chips would be ideal.

I have pulled my chip out and reburned many times, its just so handy and well worth it.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
INFRNL, you have just the standard FU and did your build after? the reason I ask is because I have an FU for my essentially stock truck and am planning a set of injectors an HPOP and a turbo for this spring/winter and I cant get ahold of anyone over there to find out if I canjust get my custom tunes to work with my current FU when I am done or not....

I dont mind paying for the tunes but iIf I cant use the FU I may go with TW or beans after my build.

Jim
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
INFRNL, you have just the standard FU and did your build after? the reason I ask is because I have an FU for my essentially stock truck and am planning a set of injectors an HPOP and a turbo for this spring/winter and I cant get ahold of anyone over there to find out if I canjust get my custom tunes to work with my current FU when I am done or not....

I dont mind paying for the tunes but iIf I cant use the FU I may go with TW or beans after my build.

Jim
Yes. There are no differences in any of their chips, its all in the packages. I started off with the FU and standard tunes. I then got turbo, tranny, injectors and just ordered custom tunes. Bill wrote them up and had them within a wk. I verified the new tunes were available and burned them.

I will have to look, but you want to choose the option of changes of existing tunes I think. Let me check first. Just fill out another order form and send it, thats it.
They were not taking calls this week and I am not sure about this week. It can be difficult to get a hold of them sometimes, but not impossible. I have the best luck in the morning.
The FU2 is basically custom tunes right off the bat, so in a sense I now have an FU2. It costs $25 per tune which is cheaper than listed. I paid $150 iirc.

Make sure to add any additional info/comments that you can, just in case.

I will be back to let you know what form you need to fill out

EDIT: this is the form I used:PHP custom tunes form Make sure you make a note in the form letting them know you already own the fu chip and just want to get the custom tunes

Last edited by INFRNL; 08-17-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.