OLD school Bullydog or Superchips? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OLD school Bullydog or Superchips?

I just bought a Superchips handheld tuner and for some reason I decided to pull my ECM . . . What I found wasn't real surprising but it had an old school Bullydog single tune chip attached. The truck has run great since I purchased it a year ago and I've had zero complaints of power, towing, etc. I have no gauges and don't have the money to buy gauges. So knowing the 6 pos chips are out of the question until I can get gauges, what should I run? The BD chip, or the Superchips tuner program? This is all on a E99 with K&N cone filter (don't need to hear how bad my filter choice is here please) and 4" turbo back no muffler exhaust. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would stick with what you have for now. You should be fine without gauges as long as you are easy on the go pedal (not staying in it too long, not stalling it up or building boost at a stoplight,
etc.) However, I WOULD NOT tow with any kind of chip without a way to monitor things.

When you do have the money, get yourself AT LEAST a pyro and boost gauge, and get rid of that bullydog and get a DP tuner, the best one for the 7.3 IMO.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM

I do tow with it several times a week, normally light but, we pull our travel trailer once or twice a month too, it's ~10k loaded. Previous owner towed a 5th wheel with it too. I bought the Superchips because my uncle has towed his 5th wheel with a E99 using the Superchips program for about 9 years all over the US (230k miles). He has no gauges and just leaves the Tow tune on it all the time with no problems. Ultimately I want a good chip and gauges but it may be another year before that happens. Looking for the best choice out of what I've got.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Banned

Truthfully I'd just sell the Supercrips and Bullysh*t and get some real tunes. Those junk programmers tend to run egt's real high, and they abuse the hell out of the auto trannies and jack their temps up real high.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM

I agree with 85_305, but until you can afford to do all of that, I would at least try to scrape enough together for a pyro. You'll be doing yourself and your truck a favor in the long run. I understand your uncle may tow all over with the same setup without any problems, but that doesn't mean your luck will be the same. Every truck is different, and so is everyones driving style. And how does he know his isn't getting too hot without gauges? Just my $.02, so take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't do it, and nor would many of the guys on this forum.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Consider yourself lucky; you should not use either one without guages. As mentioned, i would still not use either and try to sell them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.