Tunes & chips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tunes & chips

So my 2000 7.3 came with an edge evolution programer on it. Should I leave that on there or get a new one? Also would a programmer or a chip be better?
Thanks for the help. I'm new to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From my research so far, the consensus is that the edge evolution is inferior to a TS-style chip with tunes from a reputable tuner on it (PHP, Swamp's, Tony Wildman, Beans, etc...). Any of the reputable tuners will get you great tunes that you should be happy with. I am just about ready to purchase my chip, so I can't tell you from personal experience who's tunes are better. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 PM

I have the dp and love it. It's way better than the superchips I had before. Plus it get better mileage.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM

If you get a TS or dp chip, the difference over edge, superchips, etc is dramatic. Think about how much power you gained over stock with your edge. A real chip will add at least that much more difference to what you already have. There is just no comparison. There are other benefits as well. Lower egts, better life for your tranny if auto, possibly better mileage.

people that run edge, superchips, etc just do not know what they are missing out on.

I prefer PHP tunes. I have run DP, and just got Beans, but PHP is still better IMO. However I now have to have custom tunes and just need my beans and PHP dialed in a bit more. Depending on how you like your tunes will help in who to go with. All tunes will have similar power but the way they tune is different.

PHP and Beans are very similar but Beans is touchier off idle. My new Swamps IDM makes it even touchier because the pedal is more responsive with the modded IDM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks that helps a lot I'm new to this stuff but I'm trying to learn the basics of how to make my truck better
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_state View Post
Thanks that helps a lot I'm new to this stuff but I'm trying to learn the basics of how to make my truck better
Just keep in mind that every experience is slightly different in a sense. I am not trying to steer you away from DP as Jody is a great tuner. My particular truck and his chip was great but had excessive egt's until I got my PHP chip(which eliminated the issue).
The new owner of my dp has no issues. DP or TS is the way to go, but you need to decide what route to take. I also did not like how touchy my dp tunes were now that I have my PHP to compare to along with Beans tunes.

Its one of those things that you do not know what your missing if you've never tried it. Sometimes its good not to try and other times it is good.

Best of luck with your journey
Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I put PHP tunes on my truck, very affordable and the power difference is unbelievable. My F350 crew cab long bed truck will out run cars now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.