500 hp goal.... What's the best mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
500 hp goal.... What's the best mods

Hey y'all, I'm new to diesel trucks. I've always had gas trucks but this time I decided to jump in and get a diesel. I would like like to have a 500 hp DD if possible. The truck I bought was well taken care of by the previous owner (sea71) I know that the PMR's must be changed to start with but I was wondering what else would be a good idea. Any input would be appreciated. I need a game plan and I figured this is probably the best place to get ideas. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Banned

Why 500hp? For what purpose?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its going to be pretty expensive to make a reliable 500hp
Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

Well I don't really have a reason. Just though it would be fun. I'm not talking 500hp all motor just 500hp with a good tune. I'm new to diesels And I'm not sure what a safe reliable number is as far as HP is concerned. Is 500 to much? To risky? I don't want to break anything. I guess I'm just looking for someone with more experience to educate me on what is safe and reliable for a 7.3. This truck is awesome as it sits now, I just didn't know if I could go farther.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM
The Silent Service

500RWHP with a 7.3L, takes quite a bit of investment and on your '02, will likely require rods as well. Huge list of mods to take a 7.3L to that level, and you will have to up the transmission.

The later trucks are much easier to stretch to that power level, and the transmissions are more robust.

Not to derail your build, but if you don't have reason behind the power goal, I'd build the truck to your budget and see where you stand.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

With your truck being a 2002 model, your engine will have the Powder Metal Connecting Rods, which is going to limit you to around 400rwhp. If you're wanting to push 500+ you'd need to look into a motor build, unfortunately, your motor just won't survive at that level.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyepsd View Post
Well I don't really have a reason. Just though it would be fun. I'm not talking 500hp all motor just 500hp with a good tune. I'm new to diesels And I'm not sure what a safe reliable number is as far as HP is concerned. Is 500 to much? To risky? I don't want to break anything. I guess I'm just looking for someone with more experience to educate me on what is safe and reliable for a 7.3. This truck is awesome as it sits now, I just didn't know if I could go farther.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
So you want 500hp but you dont know why? I'd sell the powerstroke and buy an flc80 or something if your just looking for hi hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Not to derail your build, but if you don't have reason behind the power goal, I'd build the truck to your budget and see where you stand.
completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob@DP-Tuner View Post
With your truck being a 2002 model, your engine will have the Powder Metal Connecting Rods, which is going to limit you to around 400rwhp. If you're wanting to push 500+ you'd need to look into a motor build, unfortunately, your motor just won't survive at that level.
Well.. it can be done with safe tuning... but for how long it lasts, it's a gamble.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 AM

If you want a 500+ hp Diesel, I have a 2008 F250 Spartan tuned Ill trade, and you pay the differance.. truck with the same tune dyno'ed at 564 hp 1115 ft.lbs. tq
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Banned

^thats a truck right there.. a spartan tuned 6.4/6.7
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 PM

The smallest injector, probably a 238/100, turbo of your choice (but may be wise to do a T4 mount system), regulated return/fuel system including pump, built trans, valvetrain upgrade (this is surprisingly cheap and easy), HPOP, and lastly tuning (live tuning recommended).

That's just off the top of my head "to get there" parts. At 500rwp you're going to be close to and in some people's cases, at the limit of the stock forged bottom end, especially if the tuner doesn't keep the power out of the lower RPM.

I plan to do a 5-600whp build in a year or two, but when I have the money to fix what I break, because there will be broken parts . . .

Also, you don't "need" a reason to build a high power truck like these nancy's are yappin' about, but you do need a HP goal, an appropriate budget and time to research parts and people to talk to/buy from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.