Exhaust Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Question

Alright guys, I've been doing some reading and with the weekend weather going to be nice I think I'm going to straight pipe the exhaust this weekend. Well, I'm thinking about it anyway. I don't have the muffler delete pipe right now, but I was thinking of just taking the sawzall and lopping the muffler off. Aside from soot under the truck, is there any downfall as a temporary relief for the truck? I can't say the truck is really suffering from having the muffler, but everyone's opinion seems to be to get rid of any and all mufflers all the time. I am not sure if it's stock exhaust or if it is aftermarket. Given the rust on the underside of the truck (Michigan truck) I would at least say it's not the original exhaust. Any tips on how to know? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

To know if it is stock size measure it, i believe stock is 3.5".
Anythinng aftermarket would be 4" or bigger in most cases.

No you wont have any ill effects of cutting it off but its going to be loud and annoying, you will get whats called a drone sound with it being that short. Most people straigth pipe the exhaust but still let it exit in the stock location which should eliminate the drone sound.

My truck came with a 4" system with a turbine and muffler, i cut those out, bought a 6' piece of 4", welded some couplers on and then just slid it in and clamped it down. Took me longer to get the exhaust hangers off than anyhtign!

You will love the way it sounds once its all finished up!
Good luck.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 AM

Thanks, as of now I don't drive it often and when I do I don't drive long distances. I can't imagine the drone from it being cut underneath the bed would be any worse than what my brother in-law had with his dual stacks at the immediate rear of the cab would it?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelbilly View Post
Thanks, as of now I don't drive it often and when I do I don't drive long distances. I can't imagine the drone from it being cut underneath the bed would be any worse than what my brother in-law had with his dual stacks at the immediate rear of the cab would it?
WRONG. I did a straight pipe that ditched right below the cabin, and it was loud as ****, and NOT in a good way. It will rattle you, bellow in your chest, and get super annoying on long drives.

My 5" oem-exit exhaust is louder than the stock 3.5" straight pipe, sounds better, and w/ the windows up I dont even know its there... w/ the windows down and rear window open, that exhaust rips thru the cabin real nice but is NOT unbearable.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 AM

So if I do this I can expect it to be louder than my brother in-laws dual stacks were? As stated before, I don't drive it often and never on long trips.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have never herd one dumped right under the cab but i would guess taht it would be louder casue the stacks direct the sound either up above the cab level or straight back behing the cab. With the exhaust being under the cab i thing it would echo more and you would probably feel it more in your floor boards also. It quite a huge difference in loudness just going from muffler to no muffler with stock exit location. I dont think i would like it under the cab.

But, if you plan to get exhaust some time soon you shoudl just try it out, see how it sounds to you. In the end its what you think, and if you like it then great.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Banned

On the exterior, no.... it wont be at all. A 3.5" exhaust will in no-way, no-how be louder than dual 6"+ stacks. It will just be rediculous inside the truck, and soot every single thing underneath the truck.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Yeah, it's just a temporary thing until I get some pipe and find the time to fix it up right. I want to say that my muffler is on the back half of bed more towards my tires, but I'm not 100%. I guess I'll look, then decide and if I decide to do it, I'll see what it sounds like in the cab. Worst case, I don't like it and put a rush on getting that pipe, LOL.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

IMO save yourself the headache and take it to a muffler shop. Best 40 bucks I spent and its welded. This is just my temporary until my bday which if my wife pays any attention will be my 5" Turbo back exhaust.

To be honest the 3.5 stock doesn't sound terrible so I'm in no rush and can wait for that bday!

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.