tunes & programmer for the 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
tunes & programmer for the 7.3

I'm a 6.0 & 6.4 guy...my uncle is wanting to tune his stock 7.3, I thought it would be like tuning a 6.0 with an SCT tuner with some custom tunes..After looking around on here, that doesn't seem to be the case with these 7.3's.

Could somebody help em out on the info as to the best way to tune a 7.3? I've seen Tony Wildman's name a lot in the 7.3 section, so he must be a good one to go to, i'm just clueless as to how to get my uncle set up tuned..It's a bone stock 7.3 with a 4" exhaust and that's it.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lots of options almost all lead to a six position chip or a variation of it.
tony wildman
beans
php
dp

look around at there websites call one or two you are interested and then buy. You could debate which is best all day but ultimately he will be happy with any of them.
if your uncle does a lot of heavy hauling or is looking for just performance you can have tunes maximized to his desire from about any of the tuners.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
lots of options almost all lead to a six position chip or a variation of it.
tony wildman
beans
php
dp

look around at there websites call one or two you are interested and then buy. You could debate which is best all day but ultimately he will be happy with any of them.
if your uncle does a lot of heavy hauling or is looking for just performance you can have tunes maximized to his desire from about any of the tuners.
This is well said.
I would go with PHP, Beans, or Tony Wildman. I ran a DP for 4 yrs and it was good, but my PHP is better imo and has much much cooler egts.
Don't forget the guages
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM

I can't comment on which tunes are the best because I am currently searching for tunes myself. However, if the truck is bone stock except for the 4" exhaust, there are a couple things that would be of benefit before installing the tunes.

Look into doing a DIY 6637 (Tymar) intake filter mod to allow that truck to breath better. It's not very expensive to do, but it is well worth it.

Get some gauges put on the truck in order to monitor the important things such as the EGT's, Trans Temp, and Boost. I decided not to go with the traditional gauges and I got an Edge Insight CTS and added an EGT probe. I really like the Edge because I can do a whole lot more with it than just monitor the three important things.

I'm not sure what his budget is, but these two things should be done before or with the installation of some tunes. I'm usually on a tight budget, so I've been doing parts individually and I'm just now getting to adding tunes to my truck. From my research, pretty much all of the big name tuners out there put out a good product: DP Tuner, PHP, Tyrant, Tony Wildman, Bean's, Swamps, etc... I have narrowed my personal search down to PHP and Bean's right now. All of the major tuners use a 6 position TS chip except DP Tuner which use their own style chip. Going with the DP, you would limit yourself to just their tunes. Going with one of the TS chips lets you change between the different tuners without having to change the chip itself.

Whatever he decides, let us know how he likes it and send him our way. Lots of good guys around here with a ton of knowledge on the 7.3L!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

This is great info guys! Highly appreciated, thanks for getting me heading in the right direction! Ill report back once moves are made
Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
I'm a 6.0 & 6.4 guy...my uncle is wanting to tune his stock 7.3, I thought it would be like tuning a 6.0 with an SCT tuner with some custom tunes..After looking around on here, that doesn't seem to be the case with these 7.3's.

Could somebody help em out on the info as to the best way to tune a 7.3? I've seen Tony Wildman's name a lot in the 7.3 section, so he must be a good one to go to, i'm just clueless as to how to get my uncle set up tuned..It's a bone stock 7.3 with a 4" exhaust and that's it.

Thanks in advance!
Where is your uncle located at? If he is around this area, we can meet up or with my helper and he can try the chip and see if he likes if not, no harm no foul.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Sounds like twildman is stepping up win some great pre customer service can't beat that. And if he is local to you it's always easy to make a short drive to change tunes than sending it in through the mail.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 PM

Wish you lived near me twildman.... thats mighty nice of you
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Tony that is very nice of you! He's located in Wylie, just outside of Dallas. Where are y'all located?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Looks like Tony is somwhere in the Ft. Worth area, so he's not far from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.