okay sorry - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to birddog
okay sorry

like the title says, sorry but i need answers & searches turned up a gazillion threads that were some help, but not enough (i read as many as i could).

i am iffy about chipping my truck. i have worked on (really ran all the way through) an 83 cj-7 & a 90 integra, but i've turned exactly one ratchet on my PSD (blower motor went). i am leaning towards a programmer because of the ease of installation, the availability in my city, and the ability to make the truck 100% stock again (quickly).

that said, if you had to put a programmer in your truck, which would it be? i've read good things about the SCT & horrible things about the power pup, but those were 6.0 threads (all 7.3 owners seem to have DP or TW chips). the power pup was what i was going to get from a local shop, but i've noticed nobody runs it, & the ppl that don't mind telling you how they really feel tend to use the word 'junk' a lot when referring to it.

i want something that will give it more power & change shift points.. i plan on a new valve body eventually, just not for a little while. i'd also like to be able to check & clear codes. i don't care about 'on the fly' switches. again i've read good things about the SCT, but who to buy from/ get tunes from (if it is in fact the best tuner/programmer/whatever out there)? i'd also like to know at least a little about any reccomendations ppl make, such as what makes x product better than y. that's assuming anyone even answers this thread that i'm sure there are 500 of that i just missed. btw if you know of a thread or threads that answer my questions, feel free to point it/them out to me, i will delete this one quicker than you can say "search n00b."

also do i need to fool the MAP sensor (that is what the truck has to sense boost pressure, right?) with every programmer & chip? if so are there advantages of running a mechanical fix over an electronic one or vice-versa?

okay i guess that's enough questions for now. i'll ask more later i'm sure, so thx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Can't help ya too much with the 7.3s...sorry..but here's a BUMP up for now!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Well bud -- we don't tell anyone to search unless they want more info that what we can give

If you would like a programmer, then I would say a lot around here run the EvoII. As far as chips, you are right -- DP or Wildman Some run the Bullydog and they are good for what they are... basically a "canned" set of tunes for ALL trucks. With the Evo II and the chips and even an SCT Xcal3 -- you can get CUSTOM tunes for YOUR truck That is generally what makes the programmers/chips that you can get custom tunes on are best.

As far as a MAP fooler -- yes, unless you want the truck to defuel on you. Lots have done the manual fooler, and it will defiantely work. Seems right now, there are a few questions as to if the diode fooler works because several guys are having problem siwth them at the moment.

Anyway -- hope that helps I think the Evo II, Xcal3 read and clear codes
Old 10-13-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue01F250 View Post
Well bud -- we don't tell anyone to search unless they want more info that what we can give

If you would like a programmer, then I would say a lot around here run the EvoII. As far as chips, you are right -- DP or Wildman Some run the Bullydog and they are good for what they are... basically a "canned" set of tunes for ALL trucks. With the Evo II and the chips and even an SCT Xcal3 -- you can get CUSTOM tunes for YOUR truck That is generally what makes the programmers/chips that you can get custom tunes on are best.

As far as a MAP fooler -- yes, unless you want the truck to defuel on you. Lots have done the manual fooler, and it will defiantely work. Seems right now, there are a few questions as to if the diode fooler works because several guys are having problem siwth them at the moment.

Anyway -- hope that helps I think the Evo II, Xcal3 read and clear codes
thx as usual chris. so a couple other questions have come to mind.. i am offshore with too much time on my hands after all...

so if i've decided on the SCT, who to get the tunes from? i was reading a post on ford trucks that said elite was where to get it. the elite site has a reasonable price on it, & i'm taking it to mean that it comes with their guy's tunes (?)..

also is there like no reason at all i should be scared of chips? i mean, what's the time required to install one? i have precious little time at home because like i said i work in the gulf. i'd like to get her tuned & hauling *** so i can enjoy, well, hauling *** asap while i have the time. i've already got some alpine 5x7s i need to install in the rear when i get home, so that's like 45 minutes of not driving right there.

what's the quickest, best way to fool the MAF? the one they sell with the DP tuner good? the site said they were sold out last time i looked, so what are my other good options?

thx again chris & anybody else who'd like to throw in their 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok chips personally I would go with a DP, TW, TS, or other custom burned chip that has a flip switch. Now should you be scared of a chip. No most of the chips or tuners or programs even custom will not cause any damage to the truck as long as you monitor the vitals of the truck. Exhaust gas temp, boost, trans temp. Now if you add other things that add power to the truck down the line you will have to upgrade your fuel system to be able to handle the fuel pressure you will be pushing as well as the turbo to handle the high boost levels you would be reaching.

Stock turbo is good for a max of 30 psi from what I have been told by several people and I trust what these people have told me. Now your stock injectors are good for intake, exhaust and a custom tune up to the 140 or 160 extra hp. Anything after that you will be looking for a new set of after market injectors and fuel pump and hpop.

Now map fooler I have my homemade map fooler. I went to Home Depot and got an air regulator used my air compressor to set the regulator to 20 psi and then installed it in line with the map sensor line that gives the map sensor the boost reading. It is now regulated for 20 psi so the map sensor will never read any boost over 20 psi now. I been running like this for a while now and I have I had no adverse affects from it. It took me about 20 bucks and about 20 minutes to install it.

I hope this info helps you out with your questions.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Ok chips personally I would go with a DP, TW, TS, or other custom burned chip that has a flip switch. Now should you be scared of a chip. No most of the chips or tuners or programs even custom will not cause any damage to the truck as long as you monitor the vitals of the truck. Exhaust gas temp, boost, trans temp. Now if you add other things that add power to the truck down the line you will have to upgrade your fuel system to be able to handle the fuel pressure you will be pushing as well as the turbo to handle the high boost levels you would be reaching.

Stock turbo is good for a max of 30 psi from what I have been told by several people and I trust what these people have told me. Now your stock injectors are good for intake, exhaust and a custom tune up to the 140 or 160 extra hp. Anything after that you will be looking for a new set of after market injectors and fuel pump and hpop.

Now map fooler I have my homemade map fooler. I went to Home Depot and got an air regulator used my air compressor to set the regulator to 20 psi and then installed it in line with the map sensor line that gives the map sensor the boost reading. It is now regulated for 20 psi so the map sensor will never read any boost over 20 psi now. I been running like this for a while now and I have I had no adverse affects from it. It took me about 20 bucks and about 20 minutes to install it.

I hope this info helps you out with your questions.
it definately does help man. i take it there's a DIY write up for that boost fooler..

what about installing a chip? am i scared for nothing?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
it definately does help man. i take it there's a DIY write up for that boost fooler..

what about installing a chip? am i scared for nothing?
The only scarey part of installing a chip is cleaning the PCM connection to good. There is a gummy protective coating on the PCM Connection that needs to be removed. The preffered way of cleaning this off is by using a scotch brite pad. But if you go to far then you will ruin the connection and the chip will not make connection and there for not work.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
The only scarey part of installing a chip is cleaning the PCM connection to good. There is a gummy protective coating on the PCM Connection that needs to be removed. The preffered way of cleaning this off is by using a scotch brite pad. But if you go to far then you will ruin the connection and the chip will not make connection and there for not work.
i see i see.. well i guess i'll sleep on it. again.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:39 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
i see i see.. well i guess i'll sleep on it. again.
It is not that hard to do, just take your time and check your progress often as your cleaning the connection spot. I think that is one thing that people don't do and end up cleaning to much and end up damaging the port where the chip connects to the pcm at.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Here is a vid for chip install -- takes bout 20 min at most Id say...

I'll try to find the video Maintain made for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.