Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

5" down pipe?

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  docweld 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever put a 5" down pipe on there 7.3?? I do not see them for sale but it looks like it could be made. I think I am may try it.

#2 ·
the firewall only allows for 4 inch in order to put a 5 inch you would have to cut the firewall but it can be done

#5 ·
I do not think it would gain any hp or anything like that, but I would think it would give me a lower deep sound, do you think?? would it??

#7 ·
considering you only have the stock downpipe in there, wait til you put a 4" one in there, then tell us if you think you can put a 5" downpipe in there without cutting the firewall and using a big Fn hammer to make that thing fit. You aint gonna gain anything from it at all.

#8 ·
Thanks, I thought it may change the sound. When I pull the down pipe off to make a new 4", I will see what the biggest pipe would fit in and let you know. I have 4" from the stock down pipe that comes out in front of the back wheels and it sounds good but I hear trucks that sound better and deeper sound.

#9 ·
OK, why did ford put the bolt for the down pipe clamp on the back by the fire wall so you can not pry it open after you loosen the nut!!!!!!
Any suggestions please????

#10 ·
Cause I think yours was put on backwards...... Just took my clamp off two days ago and it was facing the other direction. And I wouldnt pry on the bolt, the little peice of metal that holds the bolt will bend and is only spot welded. Put a screw driver under the lip of the clamp.

#11 ·
I hope it was put on wrong!!!!! and yes I am trying to get under the lip. just can not see or feel it! still working on getting the bolt out of the way!
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.