BD Diverter Valve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BD Diverter Valve

Anyone have a BD diverter valve, or know someone who does? I can't find jack about this thing being used in a real world environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 AM
Banned

Our trucks dont user diverter valves.. why the heck would you want one installed?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was curious because it seems that those with a larger turbo would use it to help it spool at lower rpm's, and if someone had one hooked up I was wondering how it performed. Personally, I don't want one. I have no need for a large turbo, I don't and have no plans for towing/hauling anything that might require one.
I had no idea that the 7.3 can't be fitted with one. Sorry, I just was under the impression that it could be bolted on. I guess that's why I haven't found anything about it being on one of our trucks. lol whoops. Thanks for clearing that one up.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Banned

vehicles that come stock with diverter valves, namely European cars, are programmed all the way down to the ECU to use a diverter valve. We have no use for one... super duty's use a wastegate to bleed off excessive intake air charge.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
vehicles that come stock with diverter valves, namely European cars, are programmed all the way down to the ECU to use a diverter valve. We have no use for one... super duty's use a wastegate to bleed off excessive intake air charge.
Well it doesn't bleed off excessive air charge it bypasses the turbine wheel on the exhaust side to slow down the the compressor side by spinning the turbine slower.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Banned

More accurately represented. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
More accurately represented. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 AM

Incorrect,
The diverter valve diverts the exaust down to one volute on the turbine. What this does is in fact speed up velocity to get the turbo to light faster at lower rpm. It helps people who have a large turbo to get it to spool sooner. It has a presure canister that opens both volutes at a preset boost presure.
The 6.0 guys use them a lot when they go to a fixed geometry turbo. Mostly because the stock up pipes on a 6.0 are open, not divided. Our trucks have divided pipes and a divided ex housing on the turbo, there fore unnessary to run a diverter valve.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaan View Post
Incorrect,
The diverter valve diverts the exaust down to one volute on the turbine. What this does is in fact speed up velocity to get the turbo to light faster at lower rpm. It helps people who have a large turbo to get it to spool sooner. It has a presure canister that opens both volutes at a preset boost presure.
The 6.0 guys use them a lot when they go to a fixed geometry turbo. Mostly because the stock up pipes on a 6.0 are open, not divided. Our trucks have divided pipes and a divided ex housing on the turbo, there fore unnessary to run a diverter valve.
Not true. I've owned many European cars w/ diverter valves and it goes right back into the intake... usually by the filter assembly.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Not true. I've owned many European cars w/ diverter valves and it goes right back into the intake... usually by the filter assembly.
Yes it is absolutely true!!!
I get a little bit rattled when people post answers who don't know what there talking about. In turn people get false information.
If you read the original op question it is in fact asking about the bd diverter valve. Now then the information I took time to provide is indeed correct as I happen to run one on my 6.0. And in no way does that valve divert anything to the intake. Nor does it bypass anything by the exhaust. It simply diverts the exhaust gas down to one voulte entering the turbo to speed up spool time.

I mean my craftsman lawnmower has a valve under the seat that diverts gas to the reserve tank when I run out of gas. Maybe that's what it is!Lol?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.