tranny talk - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tranny talk

I know crap about trannys really but i would be looking to get one or rebuild mine. Would it be better to just buy one from bts or suncoast or have mine rebuilt.. What is the cost of a bts tranny comepared to rebuild. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if it was me ether i would rebuild it or take it to my local transmission guy who builds and built my race car transmissions.

personally i feel that bts and suncoast are way over priced others will tell you different we are all titled to our opinions

btw you can get a heavy duty transmission from ford for 2200 complete
Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
if it was me ether i would rebuild it or take it to my local transmission guy who builds and built my race car transmissions.

personally i feel that bts and suncoast are way over priced others will tell you different we are all titled to our opinions

btw you can get a heavy duty transmission from ford for 2200 complete
I guess I will be the first of the ones that will say otherwise. Yes there are many that can build tranny's and do a great job as well.
I asked a reputable tranny shop about a rebuilt tranny and he builds race cars as well. I got a quote of $3500

IIRC the HD ford tranny for $2200 does not come with a torque converter. The ford unit and possibly the local rebuilds will not hold up like the BTS tranny's will.

The BTS tranny is pretty much $5k but the experience is well worth it IMO. All parts are replaced in the BTS tranny. Billet, custom and HD parts are used. Tranny can be tuned directly for your truck.
I have only had mine for just under 2 months, but its a world of difference better over stock.

I personally recommend the BTS and its worth the trip to Brians shop if you can swing it.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM

I agree they make a great product no doubt and I did not intend to make the first post sound like I know all cause i don't. But it doesn't appear that the OP is pushing real high horsepower with the mods in his signature. Which leads me to ask what is the purpose of your truck? (daily driver, sled pulling, towing a camper) I think a little more details would help in recommending a way to go with the transmission in your truck.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Guns & Powerstroke's

Ok well seeing how a couple months ago I was in your same situation I will kinda hit the high points on my deal. I have a couple pages somewhere full of notes, prices, warranties, ratings and all kinds of stuff from all kinds of places. There were those $3-400 ones you pull out of a wrecked one and take your chances, the $1000 Craigslist rebuild guys at least around here 6 month warranty still take your chances. Had like a $2700 rebuild at a couple local shops seems like 2 years on warranty, then came a jasper around $3500 3 year warranty. Ford was right in the $3400-3500 seemed like but also required a new stock baby cooler for $300 to get the 3 year warranty. Then came BTS $4500 2 year full warranty labor everything and lifetime warranty on the tranny itself. All prices you have to add tax to the price. So the BTS comes out to around 5000 I had them go ahead and install a 6.0 cooler as well. Figured the motor will last forever, don't plan on selling might as well have a tranny that will last forever so BTS all the way.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
I agree they make a great product no doubt and I did not intend to make the first post sound like I know all cause i don't. But it doesn't appear that the OP is pushing real high horsepower with the mods in his signature. Which leads me to ask what is the purpose of your truck? (daily driver, sled pulling, towing a camper) I think a little more details would help in recommending a way to go with the transmission in your truck.
Good point. I just figured the op already knew what he was looking for.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yea i didn't give much info i plan on it being a dd but i do wanna sled pull on the weekend once in a while
Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 AM

Well in that case it just depends on your definition of better
If you want something that shows up to your door complete ready to drop in then BTS is the way to go. And if your stock transmission is not bad yet re sell to recoup some money

If you want the better bang for your buck i think rebuilding the stock one is the way to go. A good clutch pack and I would upgrade to a BTS valve body which seems to be a large factor in making these transmissions live. Another factor is custom tunes for dd and sled pulling will make the transmission live a longer life.

I would also post something in a sled pulling forum or talk to some of the guys around your town and see what they use.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Banned

For every day putting around, some towing, etc I'd get a hi-performance local rebuild from a WELL KNOWN shop that offers a warranty. If you are doing crazy stuff, THEN I'd go for bts/suncoast
Old 07-25-2012, 01:55 PM

I plan on getting this when mine decides to take a dump. Hopefully I have about 20k miles left in her. http://http://www.alligatorperforman...es-p-7493.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.