Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Who makes the best tuner/gauge combo?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Fullspeedjunky 
#1 ·
I have this newly acquired 1999.5 PS and it has never been modded. I wonder if I could save a few bucks and by a good performing tuner with temp and boost built in. I understand the custom chips might have a little edge in hp but if I could save a few bucks I would go for it. :thumb:

#3 ·
first -- the chip and analog guage combo is going to be about the same or a tad more than any EDGE, Bullydog, Banks combo. And the power isn't a "little edge" -- its HUGE!!! :)

I personally for my 7.3 am going to get a Quadzilla Commander and Tony Wildman Chip with either 4 or 6 positions..

any custom chip will have MANY more points that you can adjust to your rig and your driving from the tuner...

but with that said -- MANY people are happy with their Evo 2's! (and I think you can get custom tunes for them now)

#4 ·
I wished I could understand all this stuff! Yesterday, I ordered the SS exhaust that Farm boy has going, a new air intake/filter system (AFE stage II dry), and a much better trans cooler. I'm still trying to get a handle on the difference between tuners and chips. I like the idea of the Quadzilla's 4 read out device, but I understand that it uses stock (oem) input information. I'm concerned about oem trans and eng temp gauges (junk) as well as EGTs. I wasted soooooooo much $$$$$ on trying to get a Dodge to do what PSD has done stock outta the box. I don't want to go through that again.
I understand a chip is stuck in the computer. Okay I can understand that and that it can be made to change the way the computer controls things. What I don't understand is this change on the fly that the Dp can do. What does that on the fly change? What does it look like? Does the Quadzilla work hand in hand with a chip or replace it or instead of the chip?
Someone please explain this to this ole mechanical diesel guy:confused:

#5 ·
the quad using some, but not ALL oem input information (EGT, Trans temp, BOOST -- exp on trucks w/o those guages from the factory I'd think)

The quad is a set of guages basically(but can do MANY more things) -- and with an adapter can control the flip chip -- the chip changes the tunes on the fly -- meaning that you can be on the econo tune -- see someone you wanna race and just flip it to the race position on the dial (or selector with the commander)

a tuner requires you to turn off the vehicle, return it to stock, then upload a tune to the ecm -- no chips or anything connect to the computer this way and you cannot change on the fly...

:) Hope this helps!

#7 ·
So with this information I want a Chip (flip chip?) and a quadzilla. I don't want to race (yea, he says that now, but what about later :)) This quadzilla will use the stock eng tem and trans temp setup but I'll install the probe for the pyro. I'm still wondering what's the best fourth item to measure. Any suggestions? Thanks for the education.

#6 ·
It will be a lil bit more but you will be much happier. Go with a chip from DP or someone and get a set of Autometer Guages, or somin like the Quadzilla Commander. I have a Edge Evo 1, it has the same tunes as the Evo 2 but without the monitor. I like the power, but I promise you, you will want a chip, because it is on-the-fly. It is a pain in the A** waiting 10 min for it to download the tune, and shutting off the truck and everything. And for the guages I would go with regular guages not a monitor, I think it looks more mean, but thats just my personal opinion.....:thumb:

#8 ·
I have had a flip switch from Diablo years back. It is a heck of a rig but the one I had didn't produce good power. It just didn't work well with Fords. So, I went with a tuner next. It did better but was a pain because I would always leave it in the middle power setting to be safe. I recently bought a DP. It arrived early this week and hopefully I can get time to install it by next week. It is for the 2003.
I just wondered if someone made a good monitor/tuner that was close to something like DP. Sounds like I just need to order another DP and buy gauges.

Thanks guys!!

#9 ·
it seems that an advantage of the zilla over analogue is the ability to read and clear codes as well? I am looking to install the DP with a monitor (which one??) Can it be coupled with an Edge A2? that thing is bad arse!! I guess my question is which one is the best?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.