Advice on Modifications for 02 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on Modifications for 02 7.3L

I am looking for some information from someone who has been there and done that. I have spent most of my time playing around with the 6.0L diesel, and I am slowly learning the 7.3L.

Here are my current modifications that are necessary for my questions:
K&N CAI with dry charge cover
4" MBRP Exhaust cat and muffler delete
174,000 miles

My current tuner has a bullydog outlook display unit that quit working. I know the truck has a tune on it because I have driven a 7.3 before without a tune(SLOW).
I am switching to a Tony Wildman tuner with 6 tunes.

Before I do so, I want to do all good modifications to get the best performing and reliable engine I can possibly get. I have looked for a mod list, but could not find a list of good mods to do. (Like the head stud/gasket fix for the 6.0, or the 6.0 EGR delete, etc)

Therefore:
1. What modifications are best to do before I put a whole new tune on the truck?
2. What problems are known with this engine/trans setup that I can fix while I have the truck apart to help increase the lifetime/performance of the truck?
3. Also when I get the Tony Wildman tune, how do I go about taking the old tune off of the PCM and putting a stock tune back on, when I do not have the old programmer that has the stock tune from the truck already on it? Or do I even need to worry about that (plug and play)?

Hope this is easy enough to read, to get the best and most helpful responses.

Thanks,

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

ditch the K&N do the 6637 mod, as far as your pcm is concerned, if you can take it to ford and they can do it for you, known problems, thats easy the owner, don't maintain it, it will let you know as your selling plasma, wife or g/f, kids, raping houses for copper, etc etc etc. if you take care of it, then you will have no problems, big difference between 7.3 and 6.0, you can also do the fuel bowl delete, regulated return, coolant filtration zoodad, ccv....all these you can search for and they will appear. you'll find others just have to find them or someone else will chime in
Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depends on the power level you would like to take it to. Known its an 02 you should replace the pmr rods with stock forged rods or possibly a better after market set. get the 910 valve springs and good et of aftermarket pushrods. If your going to rebuild it yourself go with fords rebuild kit with the gaskets and such. That's what a lot of guys around me have used and have good luck with fords rebuild kit.
As for your tuning you will have to have it reflashed, but may be able to install the chip and it will bypass the existing tunes. I haven't done it but I've seen a few posts where guys have done it and had no problems.
If you don't have any I highly recommand getting a set of gauges. Most do boost, egts, and trans temp. This way you can monitor your truck, and possbily prevent any future problems.
Everybody has differant ways of building there trucks. Spend some time just reading the 7.3 sections and take from it what you will, but remember some know what there talking about and other just claim to know. I'm no expert, but I have done a lot on the 7.3s hope this info helps
Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
K&N CAI with dry charge cover - DIY Intake

Therefore:
1. What modifications are best to do before I put a whole new tune on the truck? Generic list, intake, exhaust, gauges
2. What problems are known with this engine/trans setup that I can fix while I have the truck apart to help increase the lifetime/performance of the truck? I'd get a valve body, firm up the shifts and then Tony can tune it for that.
3. Also when I get the Tony Wildman tune, how do I go about taking the old tune off of the PCM and putting a stock tune back on, when I do not have the old programmer that has the stock tune from the truck already on it? Or do I even need to worry about that (plug and play)? I'd ask Tony if you need to. Hopefully not, cause I bet Ford would have to reflash to stock.

Hope this is easy enough to read, to get the best and most helpful responses.

Thanks,

Jake
replied in red
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 AM

Eventually I will be doing a full rebuild of the engine with the forged internals, but this is awhile away when I am upgrading my turbo and injectors to be able to handle 50 psi from the turbo.

So far the mods that I am going to do before the tune:
I have a new filter and cover for the K&N so I am keeping it for awhile.
EGT, boost, and trans temp gauges.
Reflash PCM to stock tune.
Replace all fluids(trans, axles, engine, coolant) with new (synthetic).

What are your thoughts on propane or water meth injection?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 AM

FYI for anyone with a 7.3 looking for the same thing I originally posted for, I found this site many of you may already know about but it is extremely helpful and thorough.
Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Pages
Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
What are your thoughts on propane or water meth injection?
don't put propane on it, you don't have a 12v dodge. meth injection wouldn't be bad, could help with egts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.