Plenty of power I can't use! EGT sky rockets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Plenty of power I can't use! EGT sky rockets

You can see from my signature what I have installed and it has plenty of power but the EGTs just go through the roof. I even put the HyperPac 60hp tune back in and still anything over 13-15psi pulling 7k in third (OD off) up a grade sends it rocketing. I am constantly pulling back till I am crawling. I really thought the intake, 4 inch through exhaust and turbo upgrade would keep me cool. At this point I am not sure I am able to use much above stock power to tow. What are my other realistic options to get the EGTs down to where I can actually use the power. Intercooler Banks or Spearco? Banks looks like a complete kit the Spearco just the cooler. Would one of the higher end water/meth injection kits be better? Which one? Experiences?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't know to much about the hyper pac tunes but it sounds like the 60hp tune is too hot for the weight you are pulling, is there a 25hp tune you could try or have you thought of trying custom tunes? Any one of the tuners out there could dial you in to help prevent high EGT's.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

I'd get custom tunes first. You shouldn't have egt issues with a 60 over tune
Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Custom tunes buddy.

Sent from a Apple
Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Boxed tunes on generic tuners (banks, bully dog, edge, etc.) just jack up fuel delivery
Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Is this a new issue or since you added the edge?
I think a few more details will help, but custom tunes are definitely better for egt's. Intake and exhaust typically do not help egts much. Maybe its something with your new turbo. Maybe you have a boost/exhaust leak now. Since you have done recent mods; this could be some of the reasoning.
This is one reason why we need more details. When did you notice high egts exactly, etc? If you already had the edge installed before the high egt's, then we know its something else, etc.

EDIT: you will not gain much with a bigger/better intercooler. You should be able to run high HP before needing a different IC. It would be a waste of money IMO. You need to find the source of yur problem first and address the issue(s) first.

Last edited by INFRNL; 07-08-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Edge on level one was way too hot. I could hit over 1300 flooring it heading up the on ramp. I think I may have stumbled onto part of the problem pulling into the drive with the car earlier in the day and looking at the X parked on the street. In looking at the front I remembered the local diesel shop putting the new trans cooler smack in the middle of the grill in front of the IC and radiator. While it keeps the trans under 190 this must be part of the EGT problem. Where is the 6.0 trans cooler located? How hard is it to put in? Wonder if I can put the new trans cooler after the intercooler before the radiator?? Any room? I will call the shop that put it in tomorrow and chat with them as well. I feel a bit stupid at this point! In reading some forums sites the recommendation for cooling down the EGT is a stage 1-3 Cooling Mist Kit running distilled water. Maybe if it is still high after dealing with the trans cooler location. Thanks for the input so far!!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 PM

I do not think your tranny cooler location is the problem. The 6.0L cooler mounts behind the ac condensor but in front of the IC and rad. The IC is right against the rad, so you cannot place it in between.
Right now you have your tranny cooler in front of the ac condensor. That is most likely not enough to cause your temps.

You did not answer any of my previous questions which may help you figure out your issue. I am not familiar with the edge products. I know they will have higher egt's than good ts tunes.

What temps do you get if you pull the edge and run stock? not stock setting either. putting edge on stock will not prove anything, You actually need to run stock. When I had issues with my DP tuner; even on stock I had excessive egts as you are having. When I installed my PHP chip/tunes; all issues went away. However I think your issues could be related to something else; which is whi I asked you some questions.

I honestly do not think you need water injection; you really need to figure out where your issue truly is first. If its the edge; then you need a TS chip or Dp tuner chip.
I think your issue is a combination of things, but not sure cause we have minimal info from you.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bummer I just figured if it was putting more heat directly in front of the I/C it had to be reducing the amount of effective cooling thus increasing the EGT. Last trip towing was Denver to Breckenridge and back. I put the edge back to stock and loaded the Hypertech Hyperpac level 2 "60hp" which I had been able to run this past winter so two variables since, trans cooler and hotter weather. I did a lot of stuff to the X right when I bought it prepping it to tow a 25' Airstream at about 7k. It seems to me that I have all this available power but just keep slowing down in 3rd (OD off) to keep it from punching the EGT to the outer limits. It looks like 13 -15psi in 3rd is all I can do. From past experience I don't think this is actually much better than stock as far as the towing is concerned. I had expected the intake, exhaust and bigger turbo to give me more usable power but it does not appear to at all. I am also not sure where the custom tunes would help with the towing aspect as towing power is more fuel regardless. I did not think to turn the AC off to see if there was any change there.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

When you say od off is that on flat ground or before hills I towed RV trailers for a living and never did I turn the od off not saying that is your problem but could be part of
It. Might want to check the EGBV and make sure it is opening all the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.