Question about Auto Meter Gauges - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about Auto Meter Gauges

I am looking at buying a pillar kit with the Z series gauges in it and I have a few questions.

1) Do these gauges have a back light on them?

2) If they do what color is it?

3)Are these worth it? Will they be good gauges for me?

My friend just bought some glow shift gauges and they are junk and I just want to make sure that these are worth the money..

Thanks
Shaun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have always heard they are better guages over glowshift that is. I like mine so far I have had no problems. One thing I found with my kit was it had the wrong size T-fitting for the boost guage and I had to get more wire to wire in the lights.

the back lights can be red or green they have covers for the bulbs. I bought the color match paint off amazon and the guage set from jegs.

I used zip ties to hold the guage pod to the stock A piller trim till I could get the holes drilled for the little pins.

Last edited by MZ 500; 07-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 PM

I looked all over and could not find any info on back lights for these gauges. Thank you.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats funny, I went to autometer site and clicked z series guages. On the main page of the z series its says illumination note. Click on it and it says these illuminate from incadecent bulbs with red or green bulb covers. For more vivid lighting there are colored LED's available for these guages.

Autometer is one of the oldest manufacturers for guages and have always made quality products. You are safe using autometer.

Best of luck
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
Thats funny, I went to autometer site and clicked z series guages. On the main page of the z series its says illumination note. Click on it and it says these illuminate from incadecent bulbs with red or green bulb covers. For more vivid lighting there are colored LED's available for these guages.

Autometer is one of the oldest manufacturers for guages and have always made quality products. You are safe using autometer.

Best of luck
I cannot believe I did not see that. This heat must really be messing with my head....
Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 PM

I have the ultra-lites, and I have no problems with them. Like MZ 500 said, my kit also came with the wrong size t-fitting for the boost gauge. You would think that a kit for a specific vehicle would have parts that fit. Other than that, I found the lighting insufficient and replaced them with blue leds.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:56 PM

Maybe you guys can post a pic for the op to see what they look like lit?

I use the Nexus line, I think they may be a little different than yours. My tranny temp, fuel pressure, and boost all use sending units, so I cannot comment on tees for boost, etc.

@new-diesel: it could be the heat, its all good, we all have our moments. Plus this may help other in the future
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lifted View Post
I have the ultra-lites, and I have no problems with them. Like MZ 500 said, my kit also came with the wrong size t-fitting for the boost gauge. You would think that a kit for a specific vehicle would have parts that fit. Other than that, I found the lighting insufficient and replaced them with blue leds.

I plan on replacing all of my lighting with led lights. I hate replacing lights constantly.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I use the Nexus line, I think they may be a little different than yours. My tranny temp, fuel pressure, and boost all use sending units, so I cannot comment on tees for boost, etc.

@new-diesel: it could be the heat, its all good, we all have our moments. Plus this may help other in the future
Pics would be great.

@ INFRNL Thanks. This is my first diesel and I love this truck. I have already spent way to much on regular repairs (hpop lines, power steering lines, and front u joints). I also need to replace the steering gear and my leaf springs. I don't want to buy bad mods that will cost me lots of $ and not work right.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:

INFRNL- I just bought a autometer electronic fuel pressure gauge and was wondering if I need to buy anything else for the install besides the gauge pod. If you can let me know that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.