My PHP 6pos came in today - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My PHP 6pos came in today

Guys,

Finally got my PHP chip today, USPS can suck it! Anyways, got it installed and fired right up the first time. Install was pretty straight forward, instructions were really good.

The tunes i got are: stock, lope, 65tow, 80dd, 120race, 140extreme.

First time trying out lope, didnt really lope at all. After i drove it around, pulled back in the drive and then she started to really lope.

Looked on the paper they sent me, and looks like the wrote me a 80tow instead of 65tow. Great. Kinda irritated about that.

80dd is okay, should help keep me outta trouble lol.

120 race runs pretty good, some smoke, but not to bad.

140 extreme runs pretty good too. tops out at 20psi.

Heres my problem, bought the truck with a tune on it. Ran awesome, made 25lbs of boost. Had it flashed for this chip.

Do i need to do something else to make more boost on the 140hp tune? I would think id be right around 28-30lbs on the 140hp tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Unlpuged the red wastegate line, shes making boost now. Right up to 30lbs. Threw a code, guess ill need a boost fooler?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 PM

I was going to say, I am able to make over 30psi with the 100hp performance tune with a van turbo, you should be able to make even more with yours. Anyhow, congrats on the tunes
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Congrats!

Maybe the 80tow on the paper is a misprint somehow? Maybe try giving them a call when they get back to the office

usually when you unplug the red line and you gain a bunch of boost, it means your wastegate actuator needs adjustment or needs replacing.

You do not need a boost fooler unless you get the sel light and have issues. Bills tuning bypasses the need for fooler as does everyone elses tuning that I know of.
If you get the sel light and lose power, then you would need a boost fooler; otherwise you are fine.

I hit 26lbs but I think this is something with my motor or turbo going out. I will have my new turbo next week; so hopefully I can get it installed next weekend and push 45lbs.

Enjoy the new tunes; they are great IMO. However I feel you wasted a slot using the lope tune, but everyone has their opinions.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im liking the ability to change a tune whenever i want, that is the best part for me.

I was gonna give them a shout about the towing tune, but remembered they are on vaca. Probably just a misprint.

I was only making 20lbs before i pulled the red line off. Took it for a spin and made right up to 30. SES light came on but went away when i turned around to head back home. I had read that PHP tunes take care of the light coming on so maybe ive got other issues?

I probably wasted a spot with the lope tune, but im not even sure what other tune i would of went with, always thought it sounded cool so i got it.

Quick question though, when cleaning the contacts, if it starts and runs then theyre clean enough correct? I cleaned them pretty good with the sos pad they gave me, but didnt wanna ruin them either. Truck fired right up after instal.

Also, instructions told me to take the gold color ground tab off my pcm holder....i didnt see anything like that on mine?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If it runs then you did it right I had them put the lope tune on my extreme tune so at a light it lopes then you whack and your off to the races, anyway congrats it doesn't stop you will keep wanting more!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunters96lt1 View Post
Im liking the ability to change a tune whenever i want, that is the best part for me.

I was gonna give them a shout about the towing tune, but remembered they are on vaca. Probably just a misprint.

I was only making 20lbs before i pulled the red line off. Took it for a spin and made right up to 30. SES light came on but went away when i turned around to head back home. I had read that PHP tunes take care of the light coming on so maybe ive got other issues?

I probably wasted a spot with the lope tune, but im not even sure what other tune i would of went with, always thought it sounded cool so i got it.

Quick question though, when cleaning the contacts, if it starts and runs then theyre clean enough correct? I cleaned them pretty good with the sos pad they gave me, but didnt wanna ruin them either. Truck fired right up after instal.

Also, instructions told me to take the gold color ground tab off my pcm holder....i didnt see anything like that on mine?

the ses light is a sign of overboost and should go back off after a few minutes of driving normal. This will happen and you should be just fine. If it stays on or you feel a loss in power; then the truck would most likely be defueling.
I used to set the light of with my DP but never lost power. Jody said it was normal and there is nothing to worry about.
If you call Bill to verify your tow tune, you can ask him for a better explanation, but you are ok. I would not worry.

since you gained so much from disconnecting the red line; you need to tighten the eyelet fitting that connects to the wastegate arm. if that does not help, then you will need a better actuator. Basically your stock actuator right now is not strong enough to hold the pressure before releasing and or is set to release at a certain point.
There is a good vid on utube somewhere about adjusting it properly. If I can find it; I will post the link.

as far as tunes; if your happy with the ones you picked is all that matters. 1 tune I like and use is a high idle tune. comes in handy for various purposes.
The lope mixed with a power tune would not be bad if you like the lope effect.

Bill also has the capability to mix other tunes, but not sure what options are available; you would have to ask him.

When cleaning the contacts; you want to clean all that rubbery stuff off, but you do not want to take the silver(tinning) off of the contact fingers. If the contacts are showing copper; technically you went too far. However I had some copper showing and had no issues. Recently I retinned my contacts just to be safe. The tinning helps protect the contacts from corrosion.
As far as the gold gnd tab; it will easily fall out without you knowing. It slides through a slot of that plastic cover from the inside. The bottom screw goes through it when reinstalling. Its bent on the inside to act kind of like a spring when the pcm housing is pushed into the plastic cover, making contact with the pcm. I think I still have mine installed; either way you will be fine.
They also say to cut the back of the plastic housing so it does not put pressure on the chip. Both ways have worked fine for me as well. I just recently cut out the back because I have the FU chip and it makes it a lot quicker to pull the chip for reprogramming.

Hope this all makes sense and I think I covered all your questions. Enjoy the chip. Almost forgot; Technically as long as the truck is running fine; your good and should have the contacts cleaned well enough.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
the ses light is a sign of overboost and should go back off after a few minutes of driving normal. This will happen and you should be just fine. If it stays on or you feel a loss in power; then the truck would most likely be defueling.
I used to set the light of with my DP but never lost power. Jody said it was normal and there is nothing to worry about.
If you call Bill to verify your tow tune, you can ask him for a better explanation, but you are ok. I would not worry.

since you gained so much from disconnecting the red line; you need to tighten the eyelet fitting that connects to the wastegate arm. if that does not help, then you will need a better actuator. Basically your stock actuator right now is not strong enough to hold the pressure before releasing and or is set to release at a certain point.
There is a good vid on utube somewhere about adjusting it properly. If I can find it; I will post the link.

as far as tunes; if your happy with the ones you picked is all that matters. 1 tune I like and use is a high idle tune. comes in handy for various purposes.
The lope mixed with a power tune would not be bad if you like the lope effect.

Bill also has the capability to mix other tunes, but not sure what options are available; you would have to ask him.

When cleaning the contacts; you want to clean all that rubbery stuff off, but you do not want to take the silver(tinning) off of the contact fingers. If the contacts are showing copper; technically you went too far. However I had some copper showing and had no issues. Recently I retinned my contacts just to be safe. The tinning helps protect the contacts from corrosion.
As far as the gold gnd tab; it will easily fall out without you knowing. It slides through a slot of that plastic cover from the inside. The bottom screw goes through it when reinstalling. Its bent on the inside to act kind of like a spring when the pcm housing is pushed into the plastic cover, making contact with the pcm. I think I still have mine installed; either way you will be fine.
They also say to cut the back of the plastic housing so it does not put pressure on the chip. Both ways have worked fine for me as well. I just recently cut out the back because I have the FU chip and it makes it a lot quicker to pull the chip for reprogramming.

Hope this all makes sense and I think I covered all your questions. Enjoy the chip. Almost forgot; Technically as long as the truck is running fine; your good and should have the contacts cleaned well enough.
Yep my light goes right off after driving normal for a few minutes. Sounds like its nothing to worry about unless it stays on. Thanks!

Im going to try and adjust the wastegate, but will end up with a new unit. Any reccomendations?

I had thought about high idle, for winter, but ended up not getting it. My lope tune on the sheet is described as 140hp lope. Not sure if thats mixed?

I was kinda worried when cleaning my contacts, because i didnt want to go to far and hit copper. But it fired right up so i should be just fine.

That gold tab must of fallen out, cause i never seen it. I cut the back of my pcm holder too, i didnt want the cord getting pinched.

Thanks for all your help. Love the tunes so far.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Stock injectors?

Point 1: There are ZERO gains from the 140 over the 120. Your truck cannot take advantage of any of the extra fueling. Basically a waste of a slot. They should have told you that. Read through their discussion forum for more info.

Point 2: With the red line disconnected, the SES light is throwing a code for a malfunctioning actuator, NOT overboost. The tune does not suppress a malfunctioning actuator code.

Point 3: You have what it says on the paper.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocontr View Post
Stock injectors?

Point 1: There are ZERO gains from the 140 over the 120. Your truck cannot take advantage of any of the extra fueling. Basically a waste of a slot. They should have told you that. Read through their discussion forum for more info.

Point 2: With the red line disconnected, the SES light is throwing a code for a malfunctioning actuator, NOT overboost. The tune does not suppress a malfunctioning actuator code.

Point 3: You have what it says on the paper.
Yes, stock injectors. For now.

It seems to make good power on 120 and 140 wether i can benefit from the 140 or not. Eventually itll have turbo and sticks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.