DP or TW - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DP or TW

I know there are tons of tuner post on here, and I have read a lot so I know that TW tunes seem to be the unchallenged best tunes. My first question is what make TW any different than DP.
My second question is which way to go. The truck had a DP tuner in it when I bought it. I kind of know what some of the tunes are but not all of them. To find out what the tunes are it'll cost me $45 and then $50 to reburn and then $50/tune if I decide to add any tunes, which I probably will do because I think it only has stock high idle, low idle and towing tunes, I want a performance and economy. So I'm looking around $200+ to keep the DP. Is the TW worth $250 more than the DP and why?
Or is PHP the way to go for $300 more?

Last edited by rocktamer; 07-01-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 PM

I like my tw chip a lot but if youve already got a dp chip id just get that retuned. My tw was a bit over 500 shipped with 6 tunes. Just get the dp reburned.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned

I beg to differ about TW being the the best at unchallenged tunes. Beans has done extensive research and dyno runs to prove that they are, in fact, the best of the best for the 7.3 powerstroke. Although, besides Beans, yes TW has a very flat power band with higher numbes than most.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 PM

I will just say that I do not care what Beans does; they are over priced. I have heard nothing but good about Beans though. PHP is the Godfather of tuning and started it for our trucks. This does not make him the best, just one of them.

I personally recommend PHP or TW. I have seen great gains moving from DP to PHP.
I ran DP for 4 yrs and always had excessive egts and touchy pedal.
Been running PHP for a good 2 months or so and egt's on standard tunes never went above 1100 WOT. Different story with 250/100 injectors though. Still doing some fine tuning on custom tunes. Will probably do live tuning next yr.

This is what I gather:
DP is very aggressive on tunes and will drop off after a certain point.
TW is a little more aggressive than PHP or basically somewhere in between PHP and DP, but closer to PHP.

PHP standard tunes to me are like a 4 barrel carb. very similar to stock if you are easy on the go pedal, but has all the power you need if you get into it. Much more driveable than DP.

TW can be had for $420 shipped from ct performance
PHP Phoenix is $300 plus shipping.

TW has free reburns, PHP will do free reburns to change standard tunes. You have to pay shipping though for both.

I would think it would be cheaper to stay with your DP, but I like TS style chips more because of the ability to try the various tuners out there.

a few great tuners:
PHP
TW
BTS
Tyrant
Gearhead
Beans
Swamps
etc.

I would try Beans if they weren't so darn expensive. 6 pos chip is well over $500 iirc. I think they told me $250 to reburn an existing ts chip, while TW is only $120ish.

A lot of options, but as the OP asked; I would go TW or PHP over DP. You can also sell your DP and use what you make towards a TS chip of choice.
Thats what I did. I sold my DP tuner & switch for a killer price and used that towards my PHP FU. I was lucky enough that the truck used the same code as me, so no reprogramming was necessary.

Best of luck. You should be happy no matter which way you go. In the end; they are all similar in power; its the curves they use to get there. There is a difference in the way ea write there tunes. It also depends on what style of tuning you like which could help determine what way to go.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 AM
Banned

You are right; Beans IS very expensive... because he dyno-proves every single one of his tunes. He has his own dyno, and every tune he makes goes straight to the dyno for verification. Beans tunes are supposed to feel stock-like under 50% throttle, then after that they take off.

Beans 6-pos is around 700$.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
You are right; Beans IS very expensive... because he dyno-proves every single one of his tunes. He has his own dyno, and every tune he makes goes straight to the dyno for verification. Beans tunes are supposed to feel stock-like under 50% throttle, then after that they take off.

Beans 6-pos is around 700$.
That sounds just like php tunes and is what I love about them. It's kind of like a 4 barrel IMO. Very driveable but power when you want or need. That's really cool that they run/ test all their tunes on their dyno, but I cannot justify that with the price.

For now I am extremely happy with PHP( similar tuning to what you said) I will also have a chance to try a couple of TW's tunes.
I would like to check out a couple of beans, bts, and gear head in the future, but we'll see.
I would love to be able to get a couple from all of them and run them together for comparisons, but not likely to happen.

One day when I'm bored and have spare cash, I might buy another chip and start comparing others tunes.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:11 AM
Banned

I've seen back to back comparisions, and Beans always takes the most hp/tq and has the best power-curve (along with TW).
Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
I've seen back to back comparisions, and Beans always takes the most hp/tq and has the best power-curve (along with TW).
well maybe I will figure out a good economical way to get tunes from Beans and see what differences I can see/feel (seat of the pants)

I need to call them. They ran a deal earlier this yr for chip and burner for $600. I already have a burner but not ts software, just php software. Maybe I can buy tunes from them and have them emailed or whatever to burn myself.
Or I'll just buy a kit from them and sell the burner.

My main thing is I want the ability to have tunes sent instead of shipping the chip back in. This is especially nice when tunes need to be fine tuned.

Thanks for your thoughts, info, opinions.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 AM

I decided to keep the DP. I sent it in a found out what was on it, alot more than I thought, and now am having them burn it how I want it. I'm going stock, high idle (1200rpm), low idle(drive thru), 40hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp econo, 80hp econo, 60hp econo mountain, 80hp econo moutain, 120 race
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktamer View Post
I decided to keep the DP. I sent it in a found out what was on it, alot more than I thought, and now am having them burn it how I want it. I'm going stock, high idle (1200rpm), low idle(drive thru), 40hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp econo, 80hp econo, 60hp econo mountain, 80hp econo moutain, 120 race
Solid strategy. I like my DP tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.