little help understanding better need more power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
little help understanding better need more power

im thinking about doing some updrades to engine ... i have intake 4" exhaust wastegate and 140+ hp tune but i was thinking of upgrading turbo but whats the difference between the Garrett GTP38R Turbo and just upgrading the stock turbo with Garrett 1.0 A/R Exhaust Housing with a compressor wheel ??? please share some good info on getting performance up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First, a turbo upgrade is not going to give you any "upgrade" results on its own.

The upgrade for a diesel is the injectors. Everything else is an upgrade to support the injector you selected. A turbo can and will supply more air which will lower your egt's and reduce black smoke. Since you reduced those, it opened up room for more fuel (injector).

These supporting upgrades are needed before or during an injector upgrade depending on how much injector you go with.

The compressor wheel will only help with surge and nothing else. The housing can help some in letting more exhaust through but the turbo will be a little lazier.

Am I over your head yet?

Last edited by Turbostang500; 07-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 AM

WOW, put very well!! I am trying to do a low budget upgrades to my 2000, I have been doing a lot of reading about the turbos. I also wanted to do something to my turbo but not injectors at this time. I do want to delete my EBPV.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:40 AM

I would get custom tunes first with gauges.
A WW compressor will just maybe fix any surge you have. Ported shroud will almost guarantee a fix.
What do you use the truck for? You may or may not need a different exhaust housing.
You can get a non EBPV pedestal and outlet.
Transmission valve body is cheap.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 AM

so i dont wanna get to crazy so what other modds would i need to get to support stage 1 or stage 2 injectors?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM

@docweld, if you want to upgrade the turbo (no offense to what jesilvas said), buying a ww, ported compressor housing, and a bigget exhaust housing will put you in the ballpark (couple hundred) of buying an aftermarket turbo that will move more air than the stocker.

@2002 F350, I'm am not the best at picking combo parts since I haven't done any myself but I am pretty sure you can run stage 1 injectors with nothing more than a custom tuned chip and a wicked wheel in the turbo. This assumes you have done the common exhaust and intake upgrades already.

Stage 2's might want a little more air to be opened up in the tune. If you don't have enough air, the tuner isn't going to give you the whole injector so you don't burn the pistons up. Other upgrades around this level of injector are a regulated fuel return kit, and maybe a better hpop.

Also, as a disclaimer, if you have an 02 engine, it likely has powered metal rods (pmr) and they don't enjoy life at higher hp levels.

Last edited by Turbostang500; 07-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 PM

Maybe I've been lucky, but the PHP chip I installed hasn't caused any turbo surge at all on my 2000 F-350, no matter what gear I'm in or what I'm towing.

Get the computer upgrade first before worrying about a WW or ported compressor housing. You might get lucky and not need to spend the money before you upgrade the entire turbo.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 PM

Not gonna argue with your success but, all I have done with mine os straight piped it and it will surge when shifting into 3rd getting on the highway only when I am making around 15-16 psi boost. When it shifts, it drops the rpm of the turbo while holding a higher boost level which gets the turbo into a surge area. Mine isn't bad and will quickly disappear.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM

So with stage 2's turbo and oil pump will that be safe on stock block
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 PM

It is more likely that your rods are going to hate you! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.