Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

boost falls wot when shifting

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  JPilkinton 
#1 ·
Ok boys finally got me some gauges.. yes they are glowshift and i know they arn't the best but i just cant foot $15o plus for a single gauge from isspro at the moment...

but real question is when i am at WOT i hit about 18psi and drops below 15psi to about 10-11psi as it shifts and has to climb back up to 15psi while at WOT is this normal or what? doesn't seem right to me at all shouldnt it stay at a consistant boost the whole time at WOT, and during WOT it was about 850-950* egt seems really high for stock

and the truck has DIY-6637,3.5" exhaust banks, ccv mod

any input greatly appreciated! :dunno:

#2 ·
Sounds like your turbo needs to be taken out and cleaned or you might have a boost leak some where. Stock tune I have hit 1000 degrees before. I also have Glowshift gauges and have good luck with them.

#4 ·
I've seen upwards of 1500 degrees with the looney tune. Of course, I don't let it sit there for too long. It does sound like a turbo issue. I cleaned my turbo when I put in my EGR delete in. My turbo was working fine, but it needed some cleaning. Hopefully someone else will chime in who is smarter than me.

#6 ·
:doh:
You do no clean a 7.3 stock turbo. Or any non VGT turbo for that matter.
Are those boost readings under a locked TC or not?
Also, where is the probe for the EGT and what was the ambient temp?

#16 ·
Crap, thought you were working on a 6.0L, My bad..:banging:

#8 · (Edited)
your boost numbers dont sound to off mark. especially since you are at stock programming.
your egts do seem a tad bit high although you could have a slight boost leak. i think 900 degrees is abut the highest temp you should get stock.

#10 ·
your driving temps are were they should be. ive never floored it and looked at boost on stock programming so im not sure if yours is normal. but 15 psi is pretty good for stock programming. 17 psi is about as high as you will get stock

#14 ·
You don't have tow haul mode btw.
Also, I can hit higher egt's than that but it's hot here and AC running adds to it. And my truck is heavier. But it's not falling off much, the boost. I really don't think it's a terrible thing.

#17 ·
Yes, OD either keeps it out of 4th or allows 4th.
I was just wondering if the WOT run and boost drop was under TC lock or not.
There's a thread to on how to manually lock the TC.

#19 ·
Your boost drop is normal for not being under much load.
mine does the same and it is from the engine rpm falling.

Also, my egt runs the same and all i have is a straight pipe.
it was in the upper 90's last week and I creeped up close to 1000 on a flog getting on the interstate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.