Wastegate line question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wastegate line question

Hey, I know you guys have seen this probably 100x but I wanted to make sure I got my facts straight before jumping into this. I want to unplug the red line from my waste gate and plug it to see better boost numbers but I was wondering if I also needed to do a DIY boost fooler in order to see any effect. Also, will doing this effect my EGTs in any way? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes you need a boost fooler too.With mine unplugged I got the boost quicker but stopped around twenty pounds.I then added an ats boost fooler and turned it up and now am around 29 -30lbs.I do have a 38r so your numbers won't be as high but the same principal.I just plugged the red line on one of the nearby clamp screws.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds good. Stock right now I'm seeing around 13-14 max. So simply unplugging it, I'll see better numbers but adding a boost fooler will get me even better numbers?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Get a little bit better numbers but stock turbos can't put out alot of boost and will suffer heavy surge without a wicked wheel.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got a TW chip and I am seeing around 27 pounds on the hot tune with my waste gate plugged in. I have a boost fooler though, and that is with a stock turbo. I do have terrible surge though so I cant WOT much
Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 PM

I am running stock turbo with a boost fooler and a crapy banks chip I see right around 23-26 with no surge really at all. every once in a while I get chatter but thats it.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 PM

you do not need a boost fooler on a stock truck or for most of todays tunes. The only time you should need a fooler is if your sel comes on.

I ran DP tuner for 4 yrs and never needed a fooler. Have been running PHP tunes and same thing. I am sure TW among other great ts tuners will be the same.

a stock truck will most likely not hit the limits of the map sensor. removing the red line does not gain you much if anything. If you gain a lot by unplugging your red line, then your wastegate actuator is faulty or needs to be replaced.

To the OP; do not waste your money on a boost fooler. just unplug the line and see if you gain anything.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

INFRNL that does not make any sense...I know for a fact that at 23psi of boost you will get a code and get defueled..I am seeing a consistant 27 lbs at WOT with TW tuning and once I saw almost 30 lbs with a stock turbo...and I would not be getting those with out the boost fooler. I dont know why your not seeing the numbers or what but I would be talking to DP or PHP about that.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgrimes2186 View Post
INFRNL that does not make any sense...I know for a fact that at 23psi of boost you will get a code and get defueled..I am seeing a consistant 27 lbs at WOT with TW tuning and once I saw almost 30 lbs with a stock turbo...and I would not be getting those with out the boost fooler. I dont know why your not seeing the numbers or what but I would be talking to DP or PHP about that.
I never stated what my boost pressure is. With stock turbo or the TN that recently died on me; I saw over the map rating of 22lbs. Stock turbo gave me slightly less boost but TN gave me 25lbs. I found some leaks in plenums and exhaust manifolds, but TN died shortly after the fix.

tuners bypass the need for boost fooler through tuning. Maybe Tony doesn't do it, but I'm sure he does. I think PHP's site even specifically states that NO boost fooler is needed.

How long have you had tony's tunes? When I got my DP 4 yrs ago it was a new thing to be able to bypass or trick the map sensor through tuning; or at least for DP.

There is nothing wrong with my tunes or truck, it pulles like a raped ape all the way from the time I hit the pedal throughout the entire bandwidth. there is no defueling or loss. Call Tony and ask him if a boost fooler is needed with his current tunes; i bet he says no.

I have talked to Clay at RiffRaff, Cary from CT performance, Jody Tipton, Bill at PHP among others that have said the same thing. I specifically asked them if I needed a boost fooler cause I was going to buy one. They all said no unless I am setting the SEL light and it creates problems. I have never had an issue.

The OP has a stock truck and will definitely not see the SEL light or make more than 22lbs by just removing the red line. I also know for a fact with my truck that I do not get codes or defuel ever going over 22-23lbs.

I just might buy a boost fooler to prove you wrong even though I already know that it will not benefit. I am currently waiting for my upgraded turbo though. I will report back after I get the turbo and get it installed.

I am not trying to argue, just pointing out what I know and have been told by the tuners and guys selling our chips everyday. Maybe I am just not the best with words, but my statement that no boost fooler is needed still stands.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected then...I did not know that they were able to boost fool through tunning...Before I had TW chip I had a programmer and I was constantly throwing the SEL light so I had to get a boost fooler, and I guess I just assumed it carried over with custom chips...Thanks for setting me straight wasnt trying to argue either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.