No change in MPG after swap to singles? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No change in MPG after swap to singles?

Had a chance to run a full tank through my 160/0's on a working 80DD tune in what I'd consider my average (and normal) driving profile. I found absolutely no change in mpgs. I'm still at 13 mpg on the nose with 75% city driving. I had heard that the single shots would help improve mpgs by a mile or three. I have found this not to be the case

I did not expect the 80dd to improve mileage either. No disappointment there.

So i can just about testify that the current state of my mpgs found no benefit by remediation/replacement of the following:

Injectors (single shots)
Injector o-rings
Tune
filters
fuel pressure
boost leaks
up pipe leaks
transmission (rebuilt)
dead head fuel design
4" exhaust
No dragging calipers/pins
My AE indicates ebp sensor outputs very close to atmospheric, no codes, proper hpop pressure.

If anyone out there has ideas for what to try next, I'm all eyes. Otherwise, a word of caution to those with a 7.3 trying to locate lost MPGs, be weary of rabbit holes. Regardless of what people state, there are no magic chips or add-ons which gained a single mpg in my truck.

01 250 supercab short bed 4x4 auto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocontr View Post
If anyone out there has ideas for what to try next, I'm all eyes. Otherwise, a word of caution to those with a 7.3 trying to locate lost MPGs, be weary of rabbit holes. Regardless of what people state, there are no magic chips or add-ons which gained a single mpg in my truck
I agree, just think how much fuel you could have bought for the cost of some of these mods....

I've decided to just Live-with-it (my STS only gets 14 so I'm used to it I guess...)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Maybe some 31x9.50 tires at 55psi
Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 AM

If you are trying to find lost mileage, I think you went with the wrong approach.

I would check
ebps/tube
IPR replacement
Check icp, make sure there's no oil in it

Also Cps can make a difference. What Cps are you running?
Another thing is you do not do these upgrades if you already have a fuel mileage issue. Mods won't fix broken. If you haven't already, I would look into replacing ebps/tube, ipr, and icp.

I have always gotten 10winter, 12-12.5summer no matter what; city/hwy. I recently replaced ipr and icp along with cleaning my ebps. Took out ford Cps and run bwd. I have been getting just over 14city and just over 17hwy. This is the best I have ever seen. My PHP tunes may or may not be helping; not quite sure, but I already know how you feel about PHP. I never gained anything with DP except excessive egts. Never lost any mileage either which was good.

Last edited by INFRNL; 06-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDye01 View Post
Maybe some 31x9.50 tires at 55psi

I absolutely guarantee the silly retreads i keep on my truck hurt mileage. I purposely kept tires off the list though.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
If you are trying to find lost mileage, I think you went with the wrong approach.

I would check
ebps/tube
IPR replacement
Check icp, make sure there's no oil in it

Also Cps can make a difference. What Cps are you running?
Another thing is you do not do these upgrades if you already have a fuel mileage issue. Mods won't fix broken. If you haven't already, I would look into replacing ebps/tube, ipr, and icp.

I have always gotten 10winter, 12-12.5summer no matter what; city/hwy. I recently replaced ipr and icp along with cleaning my ebps. Took out ford Cps and run bwd. I have been getting just over 14city and just over 17hwy. This is the best I have ever seen. My PHP tunes may or may not be helping; not quite sure, but I already know how you feel about PHP. I never gained anything with DP except excessive egts. Never lost any mileage either which was good.
I agree with your point. I have to be clear that i didnt install the listed mods with the sole intent of increased mpgs. I had other reasons depending on the mod. Like i said, i found the items i listed to have no impact on fuel consumption, but that was just a secondary observation.

the ebps tube is something thats been on my mind lately but i have the ability to check its functionality via AE. I've found readings are where they are supposed to be. I may clean it out one of these days and try it for the hell of it. Easy job. I'll run a tank and see.

Hell, for the price, I'll swap out the ipr the tank after that. Scientific method at its finest!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Injectors never improve mileage, nor do chips, reguardless of what people "feel"...

However AC's make a great pulling injector for a DD... Nice little bump in power that works fine with the rest of the truck.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 PM

I get better mileage on stock than dd as long as im under or at 65mph(19-22hwy). At 70 mph I get better on dd(18-19hwy). In the city the mileage sucks either way lol
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If ur at 75% city driving, u will probly never see much better. Highway mileage is where u will see the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.