TS chip help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TS chip help

I was thinking of getting a TS 6pos. Chip in my 2002 7.3L. I hear though, it makes the trans shift funny and evenings gears. Does this happen often? I've been holding out because I would like some help from anyone who is running a TS chip. How is your mpg? Should I beef up my transmission? I have an auto trans, by the way... Thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM

I meant even miss gears... Not evenings. Autocorrect got me again.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you get the chip from one of the recommended tuners, ie PHP, TW. Etc; your shifting will actually be better than stock. If you get a basic TS chip from a typical vendor that only has canned tunes, some shifting may be a little harsh but it's still not too bad.

The stock tranny will eventually break down because of the inferior parts for uses in them. If you race around in a 120-140hp tune all the time; it will shorten the life of the tranny.

I ran my truck with DP tuner for 4 yrs and recently installed TS with PHP tunes. My tranny/truck is just shy of 190k. No signs of problems; however I just had Brian install his BTS tranny last Friday.
He said the forward drum was about shot, od clutches shot and center support parts were very wore out with a lot of play. He said a heavy enough load could have finished the tranny off; it was just a matter of time.

I would look into a bts tranny at some point. They are pricey but well worth the cost
Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdunham29 View Post
I was thinking of getting a TS 6pos. Chip in my 2002 7.3L. I hear though, it makes the trans shift funny and evenings gears. Does this happen often? I've been holding out because I would like some help from anyone who is running a TS chip. How is your mpg? Should I beef up my transmission? I have an auto trans, by the way... Thanks for the input guys.

I am a new TS chip owner after running the truck for 40,000 miles and I am particular about things like shifting. I used PHP due to recommendations from here. It's been installed about 3 weeks now.

Tranny shifts are nice and fast, smooth, but the torque converter locks up with a hard hit. A little much. The overall shifting strategy is so so nice though that it is worth the lockup hit.

The chip makes more power for sure but you will only notice that when you need more power. What you will notice every time you drive is the shifting strategy. Who knew that the 4r100 could be such a nice trans.

I really like pulling away from a stop and feeling 5 distinct "gears" that shift at just the right time.

Do the TS chip but I am not willing to recommend PHP due to lack of good instructions, attitude from the employees, and apparent lack of service after the sale based on reading deperate calls for help on their forum going unanswered. Great tuning though.

You can get the TS chip reburned by big name tuners after the fact.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll go with the chip. Just deciding who to tune it.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM

I have nothing but good to say about PHP. I always get through when needed. They are a sm company and have a lot going on. It can be somewhat difficult to contact them, but not impossible.

I personally recommend PHP or Tony Wildman tunes. TW can be bought through a couple different sponsors here, but I think Caryt has the best price. free reburns on TW. PHP is 25 ea tune that needs changed.

There are other good tuners out there as well. Do your homework.

as far as the 4R100; there are not 5 gears. Its a 3spd with OD. One of the extra shifts HB is feeling is the TC locking up. But he's righ, PHP tunes and shifting is awesome IMO.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you deside on TW..PM me.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^whs... or look into gearhead, if you are worried about trans shifting funky I know Matt spends time tweaking the trans shift points. TW is a badass too, I know when I live tune it will be TW or gearhead, both are A+ in my book.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:14 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

My chip was originally tuned by Tony Wildman. When I installed Stage 1 injectors, Bill at PHP re-tuned it for me. Both do excellent work.

I'll be seeing both Tony and Bill next weekend. Check it out:

Charity Dyno Event for Morgan Wildman *official thread*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.