Injector Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector Questions

I have a couple of questions about aftermarket injectors. I live in California so the smog rules are pretty strict. I need something that will give me more power, hopefully with other mods I can make up to 400-450 hp, and I need them not to smoke. When smoging a diesel in California they do a smoke test, if it smoke even a little its an automatic fail. I was wondering if stage ones would be enough or is this idea even possible. If this is possible what would be a good set to get. With custom tuning is this 400-450 hp mark obtainable. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Banned

you might be able to get a smog tune that is smoke free. but its really hard to make 400 with stage 1's
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Couldn't you get to the HP level you want and just run the modified stock setting when you get your test done? Maybe I read the post wrong. I know there are people in Cali running what you're after.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What year?? 2001 newer stick to stage 1's..you have PMR's...bigger and you will risk them.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

INFRNL when I take the smog test I cant have any programing in the truck. But if I can hide the switch for my TS chip I could propably do that. Is there anyone who makes smoke free tunes for a TS style chip? CT I have a 2000 so is there something you would recommend.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If the inspector see a chip you will fail.
You can't run a single shot truck with single shot inj's..

TW tunes are what we recomened for 7.3's.

You may be stuck with stock splits..then best mods are a SRP1.1, TW tunes and if the inspectors don't care a reg return...
Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok I'll look into it CT, thanks for the info.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Cali must be strict. Here in Colorado, I tell them I have a chip but it's on stock setting; they do not care as long as it passes. This is why I said what I did.
Stock tuning will not smoke. Some of the tuners do better than others at eliminating the smoke but it shouldn't smoke unless you are on 120/140 setting, possibly 100hp setting.

I know PHP tunes are good about smoke and I think TW tunes are good about minimal smoke. CT (caryt) can set you up with TW tunes and has the best prices on many items.

I think you need to find Cali guys or guys in your area to see what they are doing. I know there are guys in Cali with upgraded injectors,etc without issues for smog testing.

If you have a 2000, you should have forged rods and can teach your goal easily
Old 06-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well INFRNL the guy I take my truck to does not care that I have a chip as long as it is on the stock setting, but if I put stage one injectors in my truck its propably going to smoke. Isnt it? If my truck wont smoke with stage ones and no chip then I dont have to worry, but if my truck needs a tune so it wont smoke then I will need to hide my chip. My smog guy can bend the rules a little but if he knows that I have a tune going to my truck during the test he will fail me.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy7.3 View Post
Well INFRNL the guy I take my truck to does not care that I have a chip as long as it is on the stock setting, but if I put stage one injectors in my truck its propably going to smoke. Isnt it? If my truck wont smoke with stage ones and no chip then I dont have to worry, but if my truck needs a tune so it wont smoke then I will need to hide my chip. My smog guy can bend the rules a little but if he knows that I have a tune going to my truck during the test he will fail me.
I do not have the experience these other guys do and do not have my injectors in yet.
with your chip having injectors and keeping stock tuning will require what they call a modified stock setting. This is basically like putting your truck back to stock now excepts it it tuned/programmed to run your single shot injectors without issue. As far as I know; there will be no smoke just as your stock truck is now.

Hopefully someone will clarify this in better words/detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.